crawfs2

May 2, 2021
St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. See attached photos. This is of my main drain line coming back to my pump I can't close the valve and should replace it. It does not leak. There is another post where the person was advised to join PVC to poly by using a Male threaded brass barbed fitting and heating the poly to push the fitting into the poly. A nylon fitting was also suggested. My question is - could the gray material be PVC that was a barbed fitting that was previously joined in the same fashion? I am wondering if it is and if so I am wondering if the fitting is also a threaded fitting. I want to change this but fear I am opening a pandora box of problems. If you notice this poly pipe feeds into a larger "conduit" that also appears to be poly. The pool is roughly 60 years old and was hand dug. All of the equipment was in place when I bought the house. I have added a new pump and changed the sand in the sand filter and have done maintenance as needed.

Attachments

• 20211017_130356.jpg
    20211017_130356.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211017_130407.jpg
    20211017_130407.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
My question is - could the gray material be PVC that was a barbed fitting that was previously joined in the same fashion?

It looks like the original pipe was 1.5" poly pipe.

I suspect that it leaked, so they ran a new 1" poly pipe inside the original pipe.

The grey fitting is PVC with a barbed end and a male threaded end.

The ball valve has two female threaded ends.

To insert or remove the barbed end, warm up the poly pipe with a hair dryer or heat gun and push it in or pull it out.

Do not overheat the poly pipe.

Just warm the poly pipe enough to make it pliable.

Then use a hose clamp to secure the pipe and fitting together while the pipe is still warm.

The barbed fitting can be barb x male, barb x female or barb x socket.

If you cut the line somewhere above the grey fitting, you can just unscrew the ball valve from the grey fitting.

Hold the grey fitting so that it does not rotate.

If you want to replace the grey fitting, I would replace it with a barb x socket like the bottom picture.
1436-010-4.jpg

1436-010-3.jpg

1436-010-2.jpg

pvbvt100-3.jpg

474-010-3.jpg

It looks like the original pipe was 1.5" poly pipe.

I suspect that it leaked, so they ran a new 1" poly pipe inside the original pipe.

The grey fitting is PVC with a barbed end and a male threaded end.

The ball valve has two female threaded ends.

Thanks James. I believe I will do as you described and cut the line above the shut off and keep the gray barbed fitting. I don't want to mess with the poly.

Reactions: JamesW
Poly is not difficult to work with.

Remove the clamp, warm the pipe and pull out the fitting.

Rewarm the pipe, push in the new fitting and reinstall the clamp.

I tried to find a good video of someone doing it right, but most don't do it really well.

Some people use a torch, which is too hot.

A hair dryer or heat gun gets it plenty warm.

Some people use glue or other substances on the barbs, but this is not good procedure.

Below is a basic video of working with poly pipe.

Reactions: crawfs2
Poly is not difficult to work with.

Remove the clamp, warm the pipe and pull out the fitting.

Rewarm the pipe, push in the new fitting and reinstall the clamp.

I tried to find a good video of someone doing it right, but most don't do it really well.

Some people use a torch, which is too hot.

A hair dryer or heat gun gets it plenty warm.

Some people use glue or other substances on the barbs, but this is not good procedure.

Below is a basic video of working with poly pipe.

James, will the fitting come out after the poly is heated if it was glued with its previous installation?

Thanks formthe videos!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.