PV panels and electric heater

An example from the Pentair ultratemp is an input of 6.5 kw (22,179 btu/hr) with a coefficient of performance of 5.7 will output about 127,000 btu/hr.

The air temperature and relative humidity affect the coefficient of performance (C.O.P).

The C.O.P of 5.7 is at 80° F Air Temperature, 80% Relative Humidity and 80° F Water Inlet Temperature.

At 50° F Air Temperature, 63% Relative Humidity and 80° F Water Inlet Temperature, the C.O.P drops to about 4.0 and the heat output is about 80,000 btu/hr.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all your answers.

I mentioned previously I don't have enough room on the roof to have both systems: PV + pool heating strips / panels.
That's why I was going PV since I can generate energy for the whole household, and not just for pool heating.

Gas is fairly expensive where I live, that's why I was considering heat pump.
with the $ savings from energy bills heating the pool becomes affordable.
On average we use 18kW a day, and a 5w PV system at a theatrical 100% efficiency will give us 20kW a day if my maths are still sharp.
The extra 2 kW could partially power the heat pump.
I know everything is relative, pending on weather etc... but PV system is basically free electricity. Doesn't matter if it covers my energy needs fully or partially.

Thanks all for your input, appreciate it!

Thanks everyone for all your answers.

I mentioned previously I don't have enough room on the roof to have both systems: PV + pool heating strips / panels.
That's why I was going PV since I can generate energy for the whole household, and not just for pool heating.

Gas is fairly expensive where I live, that's why I was considering heat pump.
with the $ savings from energy bills heating the pool becomes affordable.
On average we use 18kW a day, and a 5w PV system at a theatrical 100% efficiency will give us 20kW a day if my maths are still sharp.
The extra 2 kW could partially power the heat pump.
I know everything is relative, pending on weather etc... but PV system is basically free electricity. Doesn't matter if it covers my energy needs fully or partially.

Thanks all for your input, appreciate it!

"Free" is relative. You need to factor in the cost of the solar installation. If it costs $15k and the expected lifespan of the system is 25 years, then that works out to $600/year or $50/month. Will it save you $50/month? Is $15k reasonable? Around here it would be $40k. Using installation costs only doesn't factor in the 1-2% efficiency loss per year, the cost of repairing something or any other maintenance needs.

I ran the number on solar here and there is no scenario where there is any return on investment (ROI). Most people in the US that get solar do so under the "free" program where the company that installs them becomes your electric provider (at full, locked in current electrical rates). They are the ones that get any money from power sold back to the grid as well. Not sure why anyone goes for that at all. Seems like a lot of ado over nothing.

Tesla sells a big battery that stores energy so that you can better utilise the available solar if you can't sell it back to the grid.

James, fantastic video! Here are my thoughts on PV based on what I've read:
  • 11 year payback period is way too long to compete with other uses of capital
  • California has power costs extremely high so payback period for the rest of us is more like 20-30 years
  • I would think a direct solar or heat pump would be more economic for those living in the south. Even at that the payback period seems to be marginal for me.

Chris

I think you need to look at the benefits of PV and the cost of the heat pump as two separate issues.

I built a pool last year, with a Pentair 140 heat pump. I had preexisting 6.38kw PV system on my home, but was still paying about $1300 annually for the power I used in excess of that. My cost per kwh is ~22 to 38 cents an hour depending on season and time of day -- so fairly expensive here in California. We have net metering, so I get an annual bill for the net difference between what I generate and what I consume. If I generate more than I consume, the power companies buys that amount at a very low rate, like 2 to 4 cents a kwh.

As far as I can tell, my heat pump runs at about 7.5kw, or 7.5 kwh for each hour it runs -- which is about 3 hours a day during the months I'm extended my season. So around 675 kwh per month for maybe 3 to 4 months of the year. As I was already consuming all my PV power and more on air conditioning and other power needs, the annual cost for the heat pump (back-of-the-napkin-math) was maybe as much as $800 per year when factoring in the pool pump as well.

I was able to add a second PV system to my home for about $11,000 after tax credits for a 5.5 kw system, just completed this past December. If I have all my math and power estimates right (I hope and think I do), this should be sufficient to bring my annual electric bill to zero, even with the heat pump. So it will cover the $1300 a year I was spending on power before previously, plus the additional $800 annual heat pump cost - total of $2100 per year. So in 5.25 years, the panels will pay for themselves (I financed the panels for 7 years at 6.5%, so let's call it a 6 year payback after the interest costs). After it pays for itself in 6 years, it's like getting $1300 off my power bill plus the free heat. It's actually even better than that, because here in California we have PG&E as our utility, which has just declared bankruptcy because it caused billions and billions of dollars in damages from wildfires caused by their equipment, so our rates are going up for sure. Now I won't have to suffer those increases.

So that's the kind of analysis you should be doing. What's the power consumption of the heat pump going to cost? What does your overall power consumption and cost per kwh look like? How much will your PV system cost? A couple of tools that might be helpful is the solarpaneltalk.com forum, and a tool to estimate your actual power generation called PVWatts at PVWatts Calculator (it's a US tool but I think covers Australia).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.