Silver Supporter
Feb 23, 2022
Dickinson, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I remember reading about some pool putty to temporarily put around suspected leakers to test. I see plenty of hardening ones available. Is there a putty that's easily removable? I have plumbers putty. Is that feasible to use to test around light fixture and return fittings?

I have used 2 products with equally good results. I have used only on above ground plumbing at the equipment pad.
44B29E48-3999-425B-ABD0-18F57492C729.jpeg3C4882C4-D45C-4263-8C03-921253B34014.jpeg

Thanks, @HermanTX . I'm looking for test putty to test for leak of area. I saw some in a post on here but only find hardening epoxy results. Kinda like a Silly Putty texture - no setting or hardening. It would be completely removable and was wondering if plumber's putty was of equal use.

Last edited:
Traditional "plumber's putty" might do what you want. (The stuff normally used to seal between faucets and similar fixtures and the countertop)
Thanks! I have some. I didn't want to make a mess that's hard to clean up, but can't see where it would damage plaster. I just want to blank off around some jets or light fixture to see which individual one is the culprit. Leak is so slow, I don't know if dye would find. Someone showed some putty for that here that was used in the leak detection industry, just can't find. I've got leak narrowed down to spa, determined a leak rate over days of spa, and just need to test against that. My PB is going to fix, but it's going to be after Thanksgiving, next week, before we speak again, and I want to make a better informed reply back when time comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.