Putty in existing lamp niche

familytr33

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
South East USA
Hi,

I have a pool that was built around 2005. It has a Pentair wet niche for the lamp.

I bought the house in 2006, so I am the second owner; the previous owner had the pool for a year.

I want to relamp with an LED but when I started to research the steps required I realized there is a cone of putty around the lamp cord at the back of the niche.

I read that leaks from the back of the niche are very common and that putty is a common way to fix these leaks. I have never had a leak but I am wondering if there was a leak during the year the previous owner had it? Or perhaps some pool installers will use putty as a matter of course during installation?

I'm going to have to try chiseling the putty out so I can upgrade my lamp. Does anybody think this is a folly for a non-mission-critical lamp upgrade - better to leave it alone?

Thanks,

ft

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
Some installers believe in sealing the pool from the conduit. It could also very well be plunging a leak in the line...there really isn't an easy way to figure it out.

Plugging the conduit is a somewhat common practice and doesn't really indicate anything either way.