Pump won’t prime.

Scrumhalf01

Apr 24, 2020
San Antonio
Good Afternoon all!
Been working with this issue for a while and coming back for more help before I have someone come out for a suction leak test. I posted two videos below if anyone can give me their thoughts on what could be going on. I replaced all the suction side plumbing above ground along with a new pump to rule out any of that. I just cleaned the filter although it is old.
I moved in a year ago and it was a swamp of a pool and the pump was running for who knows how long. Suction side leak or obstruction? Anything else I could be missing? Thanks!!!

Reactions: nielsens2001
Have you tried filling the pump basket with water, putting the lid back then turning on the pump?
That’s the only way I can get it to work as shown. Once the pump turns off the water drains out of the pump and the line clears. When my pool was empty I’d fill the pump and suction line as a test and it would drain but I wouldn’t see the water in the skimmer box as I’d expect. Which leads me to think it’s a broken pipe underground 😥. No idea how this pool is plumbed though. I can blow air or water one way to test the lines but not the other. Example- my wet/dry vac I can suck air through the pump direction but not from the skimmer. Could there be some sort of valve in the line? Or would a cracked pipe cause something weird?

That is a check valve that is supposed to stop the water from returning to the pool.. water should only go from the pool to the pump.. if the water is escaping after the pump is shut off then 1 of 2 things are happening..

1. you have a bad check valve, depending on what kind you have you can rebuild them..

2. you have a suction side leak in your pipe... this can be painful to find.. another member recommended a stethoscope to hear the air being sucks into the pipe after the pump was turned off...

A few more common things to check:

Make sure the pump lid o-ring is present, clean and lubed.

Pull out the skimmer basket and make sure nothing is blocking the suction port.

Check pool water level. It should be half way between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth.

Make sure the weir door is not stuck in the closed position.

There should be some action in the skimmer, but it shouldn't look like a toilet flushing.

Double check the union attached to the suction side of the pump. Make sure the o-ring is present, clean and lubed.

Are there any suction valves before the pump? Make sure they are in the right position. Diverter valves can leak as well.

I hope you get it figured out without having to dig...Best of luck!

A few more common things to check:

Make sure the pump lid o-ring is present, clean and lubed.

Pull out the skimmer basket and make sure nothing is blocking the suction port.

Check pool water level. It should be half way between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth.

Make sure the weir door is not stuck in the closed position.

There should be some action in the skimmer, but it shouldn't look like a toilet flushing.

Double check the union attached to the suction side of the pump. Make sure the o-ring is present, clean and lubed.

Are there any suction valves before the pump? Make sure they are in the right position. Diverter valves can leak as well.

I hope you get it figured out without having to dig...Best of luck!
I lubed the 2 orings with veggie oil earlier as I didn’t have any pool lube. Bought some today. They are in good condition and used Saran Wrap to test for any suction leaks. I’m just at a loss. Hopefully I get to the bottom of this and my experience can help someone. Leaning more toward a suction side leak underground or a bad clog. Hopefully just a bad clog and can be blown out. Using a hose and bladder didn’t unclog anything.

The first thing that stands out to me is how short the coupler prior to the pump is. Hard to tell without part numbers, but it looks like the fittings used most recently are DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) and not designed for pressure applications. That wouldn't necessarily cause a leak, but I would be suspect of the coupler and elbow joints prior to the pump. Did you wrap those in Saran Wrap and test?

If so, outside of debris or an obstruction at the impeller (or an underground leak, I'm out of ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The first thing that stands out to me is how short the coupler prior to the pump is. Hard to tell without part numbers, but it looks like the fittings used most recently are DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) and not designed for pressure applications. That wouldn't necessarily cause a leak, but I would be suspect of the coupler and elbow joints prior to the pump. Did you wrap those in Saran Wrap and test?

If so, outside of debris or an obstruction at the impeller (or an underground leak, I'm out of ideas.
Hmmmm yeah I bought everything from Home Depot. What’s the correct coupler I should use? When I first tested it didn’t prime at all but once I wrapped every joint in Saran Wrap it improved…..then when I removed all Saran Wrap it acted the same as the test with so 🤷‍♂️. Is there a special coupler which should be used?

Hmmmm yeah I bought everything from Home Depot. What’s the correct coupler I should use? When I first tested it didn’t prime at all but once I wrapped every joint in Saran Wrap it improved…..then when I removed all Saran Wrap it acted the same as the test with so 🤷‍♂️. Is there a special coupler which should be used?
Also huge thanks to everyone responding!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.