Pump was stuck...

Hi All,
After a VERY wet winter, I am starting up our unground pool. Warm weather is almost here. I flipped the switch to the pump and got the dreaded loud buzzing noise. I could not reach all the way into the impeller (power was off by then), but figured it was the run capacitor based on my experience with table saw motors and other tools. Of course, I was wrong...
I have gotten the motor shaft turning again, but I have no gauge as to how much resistance is normal with the impeller and everything attached. I am willing to take the case off and replace the bearings (that much is within my capability :), but I would love any feed back as to what the motor should spin like with the stuff attached. On a table saw motor, it is easy -- the shaft will spin for a while once in motion unless the saw has a brake. What should I be looking for? This is a somewhat newer 22o volt, 2 speed AO Smith motor in a Jacuzzi pump setup.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Hi James, All,
I got the impeller to turn by hand enough to reinstall and test. After two attempts in which the thermal overload switch cut power, the motor came to life and pumping was restored! It started every time after that, which tells me that the grease in the bearings probably warmed up and became "loose" enough for the seat to turn.
Now I just need to tackle the pea soup green water...

Thanks,
David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.