Pump under safety cover?

May 4, 2017
Massachusetts
Closing my pool for the first time and the PB is going to install the safety cover. He's suggesting I put an automatic pump under it on the first step, which is about 6 inches down from the top. I think it will keep water out of the skimmer so it doesn't freeze there and maybe crack something. Is this necessary? I'm in New England.

steve

Steve:

The PB is recommending the pump for a reason. You definitely want to drain water to compensate for rainfall during the winter. Is this a concrete or vinyl? If a concrete, do you have a tile border (which could be one of the reasons). The skimmer housing should have a Gizzmo installed for ice expansion and nothing to worry about. You could place foam rope around the Gizzmo for added protection.

Regarding the pump, you can manually pump water out and release some of the tension when needed, or purchase a pump and leave outside as an automatic. Thanks!

Steve:

The PB is recommending the pump for a reason. You definitely want to drain water to compensate for rainfall during the winter. Is this a concrete or vinyl? If a concrete, do you have a tile border (which could be one of the reasons). The skimmer housing should have a Gizzmo installed for ice expansion and nothing to worry about. You could place foam rope around the Gizzmo for added protection.

Regarding the pump, you can manually pump water out and release some of the tension when needed, or purchase a pump and leave outside as an automatic. Thanks!

It is a fiberglass pool with no tile border. Oddly he changed his tune when he showed up. He drained it down enough that he says it shouldn't be necessary to have the pump. Same guy, I have no idea why he said something different a few months ago when the pool was installed. I ended up going with paver coping instead of cement. Maybe that changed his tune? I only had a minute or two with him so didn't get to ask more. Anyhow, thanks!

steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.