Pump tripping overload

May 1, 2018
Jax/Fl
Need some help from you guys. I understand how pumps work. My previous career led me down pump theory, so I understand pump head, priming, cavitation etc. That’s why I am having trouble understanding what is happening.
So my pump will be running fine. I’ll shut it off, move to backwash, and it will run for about 10 to 20 secs never coming up to speed and then trip the overload. I’ll do this a couple times to try and flush it out.
Then I’ll stop the pump, switch to rinse, and plug it in, and it will do the same thing. Run for 10 to 20 secs and trip. I’ll repeat this once or twice to make sure the sand is getting resettled. Then once the overload is reset, I’ll move to filter and it will run like nothing ever happened.
Now I have been able to complete a backwash without a trip but only once, and that was after a vacuum session.

Here’s the part that really baffles me. Rinse is the same as filter except your water is leaving through the waste instead of returning to the pool, so why will it trip on rinse but not filter?

This is a 1hp roaring river pump that I got in the kit with the pool. When it’s first turned on, it will spin up to a lower RPM, sit for a sec or two then ramp up to full speed. On the backwash and rinse settings it never gets to full speed.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Check to make sure that the waste line is not clogged.

Make sure that the voltage going to the pump is good line-to-line while the pump is on.

Replace the capacitor if the pump has one.

If the supply voltage is good and matches the wiring diagram on the pump, I would recommend a warranty claim for a defective pump.

What voltage did you measure at the pump?

Are you sure that it's wired correctly?

Ok, just to update. Found a loose wire, wasn’t making full contact, causing high resistance. The high resistance under starting current was dropping voltage low enough that it would trip on temperature OL. Fixed the connection, motors works better in all modes.
Thanks for the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.