Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2017
Jackson MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Hayward 1-1/2 hp powerflo xl pump, a Hayward s244t 24" sand filter that holds 300 lbs of sand and an inground pool of 11800 gallons. I can't get the water clear. It has been green all summer. Chlorine level is 10+. Is this pump too much for this filter? This is a new set-up.

No, I'd say your Chlorine level is too low in relation to your CYA level.
Got some test results from a reliable test kit to help us diagnose??

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Give us the specs on the pool and how you sanitize, and anything you've added chemical wise.

Maddie :flower:

Algae problems are usually an indicator of chemistry problems, not pump / filter. Your pump is larger than it needs to be, but again - that is not why it's green.

If you have a test kit - post what your readings are - if you don't have one - you probably need to get one.

Thanks, I will have my water tested and post results.

Whoa.... you don't have a good test kit (one of the two we recommend) I take it? That's a huge problem cause truth be told-no one cares about your pool more than you. You'll test it better than any outside pool store will. Tests from pool stores are often inaccurate. They rush them, they don't clean the tubes in between tests, they don't really understand what they sell (just what the chemical reps tell them) and often sell you products that are totally contradictory to what you want in your pool.

Tftestkits.net or Amazone or PoolSupplyWorld.com are the only sources for the two kits we endorse. The TF-100 (a favorite and best buy) or the Taylor K-2006C, No other kits contain the FAS-DPD test for chlorine up to 50ppm. Both use Taylor reagents. You NEED one of those pronto. TFtestkits ships from NC, so if you're in Jackson SC (are you??) that would be quickest.

Have you also been using the Clorox XtraBlue products perchance? I hope not. They contain copper. Ugh.

(I'm on a warpath with Clorox lately about their pool products over all the occult copper in them)

Get the TF-100, best buy and you'll love the simplicity of how to use it. Start a log of your test results once you get it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions. I ordered a recommended test kit from Amazon. I will trash the Clorox pool maintenance products. My wife warned me not to use pool products from Walmart. She's was right. Again.

Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions. I ordered a recommended test kit from Amazon. I will trash the Clorox pool maintenance products. My wife warned me not to use pool products from Walmart. She's was right. Again.

Now wait....not all pool products from Walmart are sketchy. They have great liquid chlorine (10%) at good prices I hear, and their standard plain bleach is cheap, and CYA is the same no matter where you get it. Its just these Clorox products I rant about- some have copper in them and they don't really make that clear on the label. Copper is NOT something you want to add to your pool. You just have to be very, very cautious if the label uses the words "blue" or "trade secret" in the ingredient listing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.