Pump taking awhile to start

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Couple of questions, please.

AG pool with a 1 hp AG hayward matrix powerflo pump. About 5 years old. Recently I noticed when I turn the timer switch on. The motor hums for about 5 seconds before it starts. I never noticed this before. Is this a sign it is going out.

Also years ago I had a AG pool with a hayward inground superpump. I did like that it was easier to vac the pool. Just had twice the suction.
If I ever do need a new pump. What size super pump would be equivalent to the one I have.
I remember you could not just go by HP.
Thanks

The humming could depend on the motor that was assembled with that Powerflo. Some motors may have a start/run capacitor that is visible either in a hump on the motor, or in the rear behind the motor cover plate. A bad cap can result in humming. However some Powerflo pumps have motors with no capacitors in which case once the motor goes, it's done.

As for a Superpump swap, in your small pool a 3/4 should be plenty of power. No more than 1 HP I would think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.