Pump spits sand into pool at startup?

Cyclchyk

Jun 8, 2020
Augusta GA
I have a new Intex sand filter pump (3000gph) for my above ground Coleman pool that each day when I start it up sprays a quick puff of sand into the pool and the runs beautifully. No other spitting of sand ever occurs so I don’t think the laterals are cracked, but maybe it’s a seal issue of some sort? Or is it normal that a puff (almost like a quick exhale) of sand spits out at startup? Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Welcome to TFP!

A puff doesn't sound like sand. If it is sand it would fall to the bottom and be able to be picked up by hand and feel gritty between your fingers. Does this sound like what you are finding?

How I know it is sand is because at startup the first burst through the vent that shoots water into the pool is the color of the sand and then goes clear. It’s almost like if you took a small handful of sand and threw it in the pool. I have not physically been in the pool yet to pick up the grit that falls. It just seemed obvious to me that that is what is was. I see grit on the bottom of the pool as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.