Pump Speed Question - New Guy

Jan 21, 2017
Prosper Tx
I am new to posting in this forum but I have used it for so much info so far! I just had a pool built 3 months ago and I am looking to cut back on my electric costs if possible. My pool builder did not cover or review any pump settings with me so I wanted some input. I can set my Jandy 2.7HP ePump to lower RPM's via my iAqualink app. Default was 3450 rpm, but the wattage usage on the status view on iAqualink was close to 2300 watts.

I set it to 3000 RPM dropping the watts to 1503. That's a big % difference. I have a booster pump for my cleaner, but the main pump runs my spa fountain, sun deck bubbler and a rock weeping wall. I also have a fire pit scupper that is on a actuator, they all seem to work fine at 3000 RPM.

Question, any issues with my running it at 3000 rpm? This is my first pool so not sure I know what I am doing, I attached pics just help out. It seems that 3000 rpm works fine and its worth the cost reduction. I run my pool about 8hr-9hrs per day and the cleaner runs about 4hrs per day. Its a 15K gal pool with the spa so its not huge, I also have a Ozone thing that they put in but I was not supposed to get that and I have read they are worthless anyay.

Also I put it in Spa mode 1hr 2X per day to keep the spa water turned over.

Any input on anything is appreciated. I did just fire my pool cleaner and ordered the TF100 kit because my pool guys keeps my chlorine at like 8-9PPM! He wont drop it or give me info on what he does each week, crazy. I am sure I will have chem questions next week....

View attachment 65832View attachment 65833

Welcome to TFP!

I would only run in spa mode for 15 minutes per day or so. Any more than that andntpyou are just constantly increasing the pH so which will lead to calcium scale problems or lots of acid additions. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

I run my pump at 1100 rpm for 10ish hours per day for fiktering, skimming, making chlorine with the SWG and solar standby. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm and costs less than 6 bucks per month to run 12 hours per day.

You'll need to run it higher for an hour or so per day to drive that cleaner.

Do some reading here
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
TFPC for Beginners

Welcome to TFP, there are many here who will help you manage your pool. BTW great pool looking pool. I love the sheer descent coming from the fire pit:cheers:

I run my pool 6 hours per day at 1500rpm ( divided into 4 different times just to skim ). One hour per day at 2600rpm when pressure cleaner is on ( just 2, 30 minute runs per day ). I run the spa spillway over 5 minutes per day at 3400 just to turnover the water. Water feature on separate pump 5 minutes per day ( just for daily use). All of that is costing me about $5ish per month @ 0.09/kwh ( normal daily cost). Of course price goes up if we sit in spa for hours or run water feature for hours.

I think if you lower your rpm's and run times your $$ we go down.

Gorgeous pool and setup! I don't think you need to run it for 10 hours at 3,000 RPM. I am in sunny central Florida and my pool is unscreened with direct sunlight. I have a salt system and run it at 1,900 RPM for 4 hours and 2,700 RPM for 3 hours.

We have had our pool since July and have a 2 speed 2hp pump. I now run my pump from 10am - 3pm on low speed at 1750 rpm and from 8-10pm on high speed. I also have 2 skimmers and main drain at bottom of pool. I shut off th main drain and one of the skimmers which allows my "pool cleaner" run when pump is on low speed. Have only been doing this for a week but all looks good so far. I did adjust my return eyeballs to point down at an angle vs pointed up rippling at the top of the water....

Please advise if I am headed in the wrong direction...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.