Jun 12, 2021
Melrose, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
My question is, how long will it take for a shaft seal leak to create a problem with the pump motor/bearings? Is this something that needs to be fixed immediately?
I had to have my pump motor replaced a couple of weeks ago, and after it was installed, I noticed a small leak which I can safely assume is from the seal shaft not being installed properly. The pool guy keeps saying he will come out, and then doesn't come. I don't particularly want to have to fix it myself, but if this leak is going to damage the brand new motor I just had installed, I might just have to.
(The Hayward 1hp SuperPump motor I had was replaced with a 1hp Century motor).
Thank you,
BKH

Attachments

• IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

It will not be fast to damage the motor.. but you really do not want it leaking... It is not hard to do but good luck getting someone to come out and fix there mistake for free... they also probably used the cheapest seal they can get and that will need to be replaced soon anyways...

Get a rebuild kit and a salt or scs seal and do it right :)

Call Inyo and ask what rebuild kit you need... INYO Pools Customer Support - INYOPools.com

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: BKH
Thank you for your reply. I know it is something I can take care of myself, but it makes me mad that it wasn't done correctly in the first place, so I want him to come out and fix it. But, as you said, good luck getting someone to come out and fix their mistake! I just wanted to know that it's not an EMERGENCY that I need to get to right away, which it sounds like it isn't. I want to make sure I'm not doing significant damage to the motor while I continue to try to get the pool guy back out here (before I give up and do it myself :rolleyes:). Thank you!

I've seen this before on Hayward Pumps, the impeller is screwed on the shaft. If the impeller is not screwed on tight enough, the shaft seal will leak, and sometimes a few starts will tighten the impeller and the leak stops.

Follow up question... assuming I'm going to end up having to do this myself. Do I use a sealant (ie: DAP adhesive sealant), or a lubricant (ie: Hayward multilube) on the shaft seal? I know I will use the lube on all other o-rings and gaskets, but not sure if that is the same for the shaft seal?

Attachments

• IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your help. I took the pump apart today and replaced the shaft seal, o-rings and gaskets. No more leak! The inside of the motor looked pretty clean, so I'm hoping that no damage was done over the last few weeks of running it with the shaft seal leak. At least now I feel confident that I can replace the motor & seals myself in the future should I have to. Appreciate all the advice - this site is the best!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.