pump run time related to chemical usage

Mischa

Apr 15, 2017
Gilbert/AZ
Can someone please explain how the pump run time effects your pool chemicals specifically consumption and chlorine evaporation? I've seen a spot on ABC15 news here in Phoenix that Pool Kings recommends running your pump 1 hr. for every 10 degrees of outside temp. King said it helps circulate the chlorine and keeps it from evaporating. He went on to say you will save money on chemicals by running your pump as described above. Leslies Pool Supply has told me that same thing as far as 1 hr. per 10 degrees. I'm searching on the Forum and finding it is based on chlorine distribution, and keeping the pool debris free, and 4 hours is decent starting time. I'm currently running mine 6 hrs. and have a crystal clear pool, mainly because I've put into practice testing my pool every other day and keeping my chemicals balanced. On average I'm adding 12-16 ounces of 10% chlorine every other day and 24 ounces of 14.5% muriatic acid. Seems like a lot of chemicals but this is my first year doing this correctly and using liquid chlorine primarily, so I don't know what to expect. I also float about 2 tabs in my pool. I can't imagine how much chlorine I'd use without tabs. Thanks for help or reassurance!

Hi Mischa, and fellow AZ pool owner. First off, you should post your full set of test results from your test kit. That will help everyone comment better on your question. One thing that BestJoey alluded to is that the long term use of chlorine tabs is something that isn't recommended on this site. They can be used for vacations, or if you need to raise your CYA levels a little but other than that I would strongly suggest only using liquid chlorine.

As for the amount of chlorine you add to pool. I would say that you are actually on the low end. My pool is slightly larger than yours, but since we are getting closer to summer I have been adding 48oz of 12.5% chlorine every day. Secondly, you can limit the amount of muriatic acid you use if you buy the stronger strength acid. That acid is 31.45% and isn't much more expensive. If you get that, you can cut your acid in half.

The answer to the questions is what? I think he was asking how long should we run the pool

I am also in Phoenix and currently have been running only 4 hours a day
My pool is just over 11000 gal and a 2.5 HP pump (single speed unfortunately) and the pool is crystal clear and the water is dialed in
Since Kim Kat got me going here, I have to say I am a bit obsessed with testing and dosing the pool daily

Is there any benefit with a non SWG pool running longer then the amount of time you can turn the water over at least once? Does it save chlorine or is that a myth?

I get that with a floater and Tabs you want to run it longer to dissolve the tabs better and with a SWG it must run long enough to generate the chlorine

Does anyone have insight on a standard pool run time with liquid dosing and testing daily ?

While providing the disclaimer that I am not an expert, I don't think I've ever seen an article on this site indicating a correlation between temperature and pump rin for the purpose of reducing chlorine use. Also, there's a LOT of misinformation about pool care out there. Case and point, the news piece someone posted the other day stating that "if you can't smell the chlorine, its not properly maintained". Instinct tells me this is an old wives' tale, but I'm following because id love to hear from someone who can answer authoritatively.

While that "hour for every ten degrees" has some decent background, the truth is your run the pump and filter enough to keep your pool clean. If it takes 18 hours daily to keep it clean, that's what you run. If it takes three hours, that's what you run.

Chlorine does not evaporate. It is consumed by organics in your pool and UV from the sun. Running the pump has virtually nothing to do with chlorine loss.

While that "hour for every ten degrees" has some decent background, the truth is your run the pump and filter enough to keep your pool clean. If it takes 18 hours daily to keep it clean, that's what you run. If it takes three hours, that's what you run.

Chlorine does not evaporate. It is consumed by organics in your pool and UV from the sun. Running the pump has virtually nothing to do with chlorine loss.

Thank you for that

I thought that would be correct
Why pay for extra run Time on electric if the pool is clean and balanced

Time for a swim! 100 outside :))

CYA is low around 30-40. I did a full drain this spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's test results are FC 2.4, my target is 3 I like the low end. CC is .2-.4. PH is 7.6. TA is 80. CH is 240. CYA is 30-40. Temp is 82. Where do you pick up the stronger acid? I've been getting my chlorine and acid at Home Depot.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the chlorine explanation. So I'm gathering that pump run time is solely based on time for chemical distribution and keeping the pool clean. Thanks for all the advice. I think I will reduce pump run time to 4 hours like I did last year, I bumped it up a bit hearing the news bit. Personal choice but I think I'm also going to keep floating tabs since I paid $70 for a bucket of tabs a few months ago before I found this site. Not next year though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mischa,

you can can get your acid at pool store. It's one chemical that is priced reasonable. You can get it at Leslie's, but you have to ask since they store it in the back. There is an even better pool store in east valley called A&M Corson's that sells it for cheaper. I got 31% strength for $11.99 last week. They also sell those 12.5% HASA refillable liquid chlorine jugs

CYA is low around 30-40. I did a full drain this spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's test results are FC 2.4, my target is 3 I like the low end. CC is .2-.4. PH is 7.6. TA is 80. CH is 240. CYA is 30-40. Temp is 82. Where do you pick up the stronger acid? I've been getting my chlorine and acid at Home Depot.

With a CYA of 40 and in a non-SWG Pool, recommendation is FC 5-7 with a min of 3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.