Pump run time recommendations

Apr 23, 2017
Victoria
My single speed pump is starting to give me trouble so I'm going to take this opportunity to replace it with a VS pump. I'm in Minnesota and currently run 24/7. I was wondering what people think would be a good run cycle for the new VS? We normally don't use the pool a ton during the week but the weekends it's used a lot. I was thinking I would run at 3450 friday-sunday when it's being used a lot and step it down to 1850 or 2100 during the week to save money. thoughts?

Welcome! :wave: When it comes to pump run times, your biggest priorities are to keep the surface clean (water to skimmer), mixing chemicals, vacuuming, and producing chlorine for those who have a SWG. Other than that, you can have the pump off if you like. No need to run it on such a high rpm all weekend either. A simple, low rpm for decent movement will work fine.

My single speed pump is starting to give me trouble so I'm going to take this opportunity to replace it with a VS pump. I'm in Minnesota and currently run 24/7. I was wondering what people think would be a good run cycle for the new VS? We normally don't use the pool a ton during the week but the weekends it's used a lot. I was thinking I would run at 3450 friday-sunday when it's being used a lot and step it down to 1850 or 2100 during the week to save money. thoughts?
No need to run that high of a RPM. I hardly ever run at more than half speed, most of the time much less.

How many skimmers do you have?

Are you running a heater and/or SWG?

If no and you have only one skimmer, then RPM could be dropped to as little as 1000 RPM or perhaps less.

No need to run that high of a RPM. I hardly ever run at more than half speed, most of the time much less.

How many skimmers do you have?

Are you running a heater and/or SWG?

If no and you have only one skimmer, then RPM could be dropped to as little as 1000 RPM or perhaps less.
Thanks, I have 2 skimmers and a bottom drain, a heater and considering switching to SWG.

You may need to up the RPM for the heater and the 2 skimmers but experiment with different speeds. The objective to save on energy costs is to run the pump at the lowest RPM possible but still accomplish everything you need to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.