Pump questions for a replacement

Aug 15, 2018
Houston/Texas
Hello all,
I am in the market for a new pump, Im not sure what happend as we had some hard rain in Houston a few weeks back and I think the pump was running from the auto timer and maybe shorted something out. The only thing the pump does is hum for a sec and repeats. I was wanting to remove the pump and see if it rotates thinking maybe something was jammed in the impeller, but I have not had time or the knowledge to do so as the above ground pool has a main drain and I did not know I would have to manually stop the flow of water with a bag and tape the end of the pipe going into the pump housing. My main question is will a Hayward SP1580x15 work as the pump that was installed on it is a hayward SP1515z1bc. I am not sure which to buy with so many pumps on the market, I am also considering buying just the pump from inyopools if everything else seems to be ok. Any advice is greatly sppreciated as it's summer and the pool is green again.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

Pics added of current setup and pump, as unsure of age came with the house we bought last year

Attachments

• IMG_3036[1].JPG
    IMG_3036[1].JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4414[1].JPG
    IMG_4414[1].JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4415[1].JPG
    IMG_4415[1].JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 11
Our pools are almost the same. My first pump setup was 2hp 2 speed Waterway. It was basically a Jacuzzi pump sold as pool pump in our turnkey aboveground pool purchase.
After joining TFP and reading and learning this 2hp Waterway was over kill. I replaced with Hayward SP15922S PowerFlo Matrix 1 HP Dual-Speed.
I replaced bearings on Waterway 2hp motor and it will be used only as a backup.
Your current motor could have bad capacitor. Don`t chunk your old setup just replace it and when you have an opportunity see if you can figure out what wrong and repair to use a backup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.