Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just read hydraulics 101, and ? lots of info which has me questioning my builder. He was over yesterday, going over a few things. He said he wished he had gone with a second pump for our waterfalls. Right now we can only run either the returns or the waterfalls not both. Not a big deal for us, but was he right that we should have gotten a 2nd pump?

all 2” pipes as far as I know. 4 returns and 3 2ft waterfalls.

he also mentioned changing out our return openings from 3/4 to 3/8. Is that a good idea and what would it do?

No real need to run the returns and waterfalls at the same time. I am assuming that you only run the waterfalls when enjoying the pool? Not a good idea to run them all the time with PH rise.

As for the returns, reducing the eyeball size increases head loss and reduces flow rate. Not sure why he wanted to do this but maybe it is so the waterfall and returns can run at the same time.

I would just see how things go running one or the other. If you find you want/need to run both at the same time, then consider a separate pump. Hopefully the plumbing supports it (i.e. separate waterfall loop).

No real need to run the returns and waterfalls at the same time. I am assuming that you only run the waterfalls when enjoying the pool? Not a good idea to run them all the time with PH rise.

As for the returns, reducing the eyeball size increases head loss and reduces flow rate. Not sure why he wanted to do this but maybe it is so the waterfall and returns can run at the same time.

I would just see how things go running one or the other. If you find you want/need to run both at the same time, then consider a separate pump. Hopefully the plumbing supports it (i.e. separate waterfall loop).
Thank you for confirming my thoughts. We’re fine with it the way it is. Waterfalls are only on when we’re actually in the pool.

I think he was just trying to trouble shoot why we couldn’t run both at the same time.

So we’ve noticed the water running down the face of the wall from the waterfalls, which has been causing the water level in the pool to drop almost an inch a day. Turned the falls off for a few days to confirm that pool isn’t leaking from somewhere else.

but this got me thinking that maybe we do need a secondary pump for the waterfalls. The waterfalls are about 3’ above the pool surface and impact the water at about 8-10 inches. Looking at the guide. It looks like I should have enough but the run may be more than 50’

Attachments

• Waterfall pump info.png
    Waterfall pump info.png
    566.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Waterfall pump info 2.png
    Waterfall pump info 2.png
    494.8 KB · Views: 3
"I think he was just trying to trouble shoot why we couldn’t run both at the same time. " - Probably

You want the return jets for the pool to be just small enough to create the circular flow required for the skimmers when the filter is near its backwash pressure. Any more than this is just back pressure on the system with no benefit. Jet eyes are cheap ($10-15 / set of 6), you can get three sets of different sizes and play if you want but if you are like me you can also drive yourself crazy fine tuning the pressure. Cheers

So we’ve noticed the water running down the face of the wall from the waterfalls, which has been causing the water level in the pool to drop almost an inch a day. Turned the falls off for a few days to confirm that pool isn’t leaking from somewhere else.
Are you talking about an increase in evaporation? It actually isn't leaking outside of the pool correct?

Then I would fix the waterfall. It should never leak water outside of the pool.
The water runs down the face and because of the wall design it goes right inside the wall. Some runs out the back and sides and some comes out the front and back into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.