Pump preventative maintenance

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I have an 8 year old Jandy Stealth single speed pump. It gets used about 5 months of the year and is running about 8hrs a day. When the pool is shut down I rinse and dry it as best I can and store the pump in our basement. I'm wondering if it's worth while taking the pump apart and replace the o-rings and shaft seal as a preventative measure, or should I leave well enough alone and wait till I see signs of leaking in the future?

Okay, I'm sort of superstitious and personally I'd tell my husband to leave it alone.... for some reason opening it up sounds to me like an invitation to trouble. I'd plan on using it till it dies a natural death then going for a variable speed pump.

Just my two cents.

Maddie :flower:

To me its a can of worms. Everytime i take something like the pump apart, something else breaks or doesnt seal right when reassembling. Or a spring i didnt even know was in there goes shooting across the room never to be found again. If its making noises or getting hot you have a reason to try, but if its running fine i'd let it be.

OK, I'll refrain myself from messing with something that isn't broken :) I'll keep a close eye for leaks next season.

I was considering changing out the motor for a dual speed one. There are a couple of options that will work and I can keep the wet side of the pump so no need to change any of the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.