Pump only moves water after running rinse-could this be a suction side air leak?

mau

Jul 7, 2012
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For a couple of weeks, I was having to prime the pump basket in order to get the pump started. Eventually that wasn't enough and I would only get a little movement with air bubbles coming out of the jets (seemed to move around from jet to jet) and little to no movement through the skimmer. I had someone look at it who said there might be a leak or a clog somewhere. He put lube on the o-ring and was able to get it started and said if the lines were clogged somewhere that might be enough to clear it out, otherwise call American Leak Masters to find the leak. It stopped moving water after a couple of hours.

I did talk to American Leak Masters on the phone who said it was more likely that the sand in the filter needed to be replaced or we might need a new pump. (We do have a lot of trees nearby so plenty of leaves, and pollen). I did prime it again and ran the recirculate cycle (I had tried this previously with no luck). Then for good measure ran the backwash and rinse (I had tried this before). This time the backwash cycle seemed to be working as there was cloudy water showing up in the indicator window. I ran it till it was clear and then ran the rinse cycle for 30 seconds. This time there was noticeable movement of water in the pump basket hitting the top of the lids, so I ran the regular filter cycle and it was back to normal and ran for 8 hours. The next day I did the same thing.

Yesterday, when I turned the pump off, there was a lot of loud noise of water draining through the pipes and in or out of the pump filter basket (I had noticed draining noises for the past couple of weeks after turning it off when it was still working normally). This went on for several minutes. I filmed this for about 30 seconds and can upload if that will help. Today I wasn't able to get the pump moving any water until after priming, running recirculate, backwash and rinse.

Anyway, just trying to figure out the next step. Thanks for any help

Not sure about the waste line, I'll see if I can figure it out. I haven't run the waste cycle since I got it going again.
Our pressure gauge is actually broken after freezing winter of 2021.
I generally check the pump basket every day and it's clear, not sure about the impeller. After your comment, I just found a video about cleaning the impeller which we can try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.