Pump motor replacement suggestions

calstar

Feb 28, 2014
santa barbara, california
Bearings need to be replaced or new motor, was running it 24/7 for 9-10 days(ending about 3 weeks ago) while treating pool for mustard algae(successful) during which time the pumped developed a small leak but is no longer leaking, thinking water got into the bearings then, started "screeching" a few days ago. Pump is approximately 16 years old, I replaced the shaft seal, o-rings, etc. 6-7 years ago.

I don't know if its worth it to just change the bearings or even if thats a good idea since water may have also caused shaft damage/rusting. I can remove the motor and open it up to check and probably find replacement bearings locally, probably uses a common bearing size, and install them along with tune up kit(shaft seal, etc.). I've read where changing the bearings usually will solve the problem for only a year or so.

If I do need to replace the motor any suggestions on where to look? Looking on amazon(I wont necessarily buy it there but useful for reviews) almost every pump motor has at least 10% of 1 star rating, pretty crappy for any brand. I'll be replacing it with the same 1.5hp single speed motor rating. Are all pump motors now made in China regardless of brand? Are there any brand motors that stand above the rest? I can get a replacement motor from Inyo Pools for about $200 and a tune up kit for $40, anybody bought from them? Replacing the impeller and diffuser a good idea given the pump age?

thanks, Brian

JJeW5X1.jpg

hCBF5l8.jpg

f7i8BZJ.jpg

Last edited:
Are all pump motors now made in China regardless of brand?
China and Mexico

I can get a replacement motor from Inyo Pools for about $200 and a tune up kit for $40, anybody bought from them?
Quite a few on the forum have used Inyo. Become a supporter and you can get some discounts.

Replacing the impeller and diffuser a good idea given the pump age?
Not unless they are damaged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.