Pump motor help

catsncoffee

Jan 28, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I was doing a slam and my motor overheated and tripped the breaker. I turned it back on and it was making a weird noise, higher than normal sound but no grinding or whistling sound. Turned it off, checked the baskets for debris and stuck my hand in to check the impeller, which was moving fine and nothing stuck. Turned it back on and it was having issues priming, and started to smoke, so i turned it back off.

This motor is only a 1.5 years old. Any chance this could be the capacitor? Really hope the motor isn't dead.

The motor was made on the 270th day of 2019. (September 27 Friday 2019).

It has a 1 year warranty from the day of installation or 2 years from the date of manufacturing.

When was the motor replaced?

1632078443042.png
1632078634009.png
1632078673414.png
The capacitor is in the top hump. See what that looks like.

The total HP is 2.21.

What is the model number for the pump?

What is the supply voltage?

The windings are smoking, which means that the motor is probably dead.

Maybe the motor is too small for the pump or the voltage is wrong.

I would file a warranty claim with the service company and with Regal Beloit.

I have a message out to the company that replaced the motor (of course it dies on the weekend). About a month after it was replaced it started making a high pitched noise and i had them come back and look at it. They said it was 'fine' and probably just had something stuck in it, and that was that. It hasn't been doing anything weird up until now, now, but 1.5 years for a $500 motor is stupid. Thanks for the help.

It is technically out of warranty, but it should last longer than this.

Either the motor is defective or the installation was defective.

Maybe the motor is too small or maybe the impeller was binding or maybe the voltage is too low.

What is the model number for the pump?

I would file a warranty claim with the service company and with Regal Beloit.

The warranty with Regal Beloit is within the two year window, so they might cover it if the install can be verified to be correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We bought this house with the pool already built. It's a weird set up but nothing to be done about it. This pool is at least 15 years old. No possibility the drain plug was opened. I'm the only person that manages the pool and I don't open that. But we're in AZ and we have been getting a ton of rain recently, tho that area where the pool is hasn't flooded. The second pump is for the attached spa which still has the original motor. The original motor on the pool was a Jandy 2.21 (pic of original pool motor before it was replaced)

Attachments

• IMG_8048.jpg
    IMG_8048.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 2
Check the voltage with no load and then with a 10 to 12 amp test load.

You will probably need an electrician to do this if you do not know how to load test an electrical supply line.

If the voltage checks out, I would file a warranty claim with the service company and Regal Beloit.

If they deny warranty coverage, ask them to explain why the motor died less than two years from installation.

I would not try to run the motor again as it could catch on fire.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.