Pump losing prime\suction after a few hours of running

Dec 11, 2016
Lafayette
OK, I've installed a new Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump & a new Pentair Quad DE filter along with new piping on the pad.
The pump primes just fine in around 15-20 sec. and I can see water rushing in from the suction line. After it primes there's a small quarter sized bubble in the top of the lid, but as the pump runs for a few hours, I assume air is getting in from somewhere. After 2-3 hours the pump basket is only 1/2 full of water & the water is only trickling in from the suction line. My old inefficient single speed pump never lost prime/suction, so I don't think anything could be wrong with the underground pipes. I replaced about 18" of pipe in from of the pump before it turns underground. I used RectorSeal Tru-Blu pipe thread sealant on the male thread going into the pump. I made sure it's very tight. 1 & 1/2 turns after hand tight. The water level at the skimmer is high, due to heavy rain. The skimmer basket isn't clogged, however, I noted the little rotating tab on the underside of the skimmer float valve is missing. Maybe it got sucked into the suction line. The pump basket isn't clogged. I can rotate the impeller with a screwdriver. We do have some pine needles, so I guess it's posable that some got into the impeller, but the pump has only run for maybe a total of 12-16 hours as I'm trying to work out this issue. I've lobbed the O-ring for the pump basket lid & made sure it's very tight. The pump drain plug is tight. Here's an image of the suction side of the pump. What am I missing? Where else could the air be coming from?
IMG_4101.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's a PVC coupler. Shop Homewerks Worldwide 2-in Dia PVC Sch 40 Coupling at Lowes.com
I was actually having this issue before the coupler was there. Previously, the horizontal pipe threaded right into the pump. So I figured the threads must be leaking. I cut the pipe & added the thread sealant, then added the coupler, but it didn't make a difference. I've ensured the coupler nuts are very tight & even added thread sealant to them.

When I replaced my SWG and pump I also was having a minor leak. It was easier to find as it was on the output of the pump so saw leak. Even though I was using teflon tape on screw couplings it was leaking. I read of others using a product which is RectorSeal T Plus 2, which is a paste with teflon in it. Got at local big-box h/w place and spread it on couplings and problem solved. You could try to using a hose to run water over the couplings, joints, and around your pump lid to see if it sucks in water (see air bubbles reduce) to try and find the specific leak.

pipesealant.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.