Pump Inlet and Outlets - Why so high?

Gopherboy6956

Jun 3, 2020
Fargo, ND
Just a general question I've been wondering - why are the inlets and outlets for the pool so dang high in the pool wall? On my Intex XTR 18x52", the outlet into the pool is only like, 2 inches below the recommended water level. The inlets are maybe 10" below the water.

Why wouldn't you at least want them seperated more vertically? Or why not have the inlets for the pump lower to try to suck in any small dirt etc that sinks?

I just can't on my own figure out why it's this way.

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

The Intex type pools are notoriously poor in water circulation and filtration. The ports are up high for a couple of reasons. If you need to drain for maintenance or a hose leaks, then only a small portion of the water will come out. The typical installation needs to have the holes near each other due shorter hoses and a smaller pump. Even if the holes were a little lower, the dirt still has the same chance of getting into the suction line. On other above ground pools, almost all the suction water is through the skimmer at the surface. The surface is where the majority of debris collects. Add a through the wall skimmer is actually much more effective way of capturing more debris. Many people do this to their Intex type pool.
The vacuum is the best way to capture dirt that is heavy enough to fall to the bottom.

From a safety point of view, I wouldn't want a suction port at a level that will grab at your bathing suit and definitely not close to the floor. All new Intex type pools now need to have multiple suctions to prevent entrapment.

Reactions: Gopherboy6956
Your suction ports aren’t going to be sucking in any visible debris - stuff in your pool will either be floating on the surface and taken care of by a skimmer if you install one, or once waterlogged enough to sink will quickly end up at the bottom. There is not enough suction to pull larger particles mid water column to your suction outlets. Dissolved/suspended dirt that your filter will be removing is going to get to the filter regardless of a few inches higher or lower. Maybe a floor drain setup would change things but with an Intex through wall fitting I don’t think their placement is an issue.

I replaced my Intex return with a Hayward but the Intex one has some sort of aeration system integrated in it I’m not sure if that works better with it closer to the surface. I installed a skimmer in my Intex and the return height is good as it sets a real nice surface swirl that pushed debris into the skimmer very quickly and efficiently.

My only complaint about the whole setup is why did they cheap out with the lame rubber tube suction ports and not cut a hole like they do on the return so that consumers can more easily change them out.

Reactions: Gopherboy6956
Your suction ports aren’t going to be sucking in any visible debris - stuff in your pool will either be floating on the surface and taken care of by a skimmer if you install one, or once waterlogged enough to sink will quickly end up at the bottom. There is not enough suction to pull larger particles mid water column to your suction outlets. Dissolved/suspended dirt that your filter will be removing is going to get to the filter regardless of a few inches higher or lower. Maybe a floor drain setup would change things but with an Intex through wall fitting I don’t think their placement is an issue.

I replaced my Intex return with a Hayward but the Intex one has some sort of aeration system integrated in it I’m not sure if that works better with it closer to the surface. I installed a skimmer in my Intex and the return height is good as it sets a real nice surface swirl that pushed debris into the skimmer very quickly and efficiently.

My only complaint about the whole setup is why did they cheap out with the lame rubber tube suction ports and not cut a hole like they do on the return so that consumers can more easily change them out.

Right? What the heck is up with the proprietary fittings for the inlets / outlets. So we have to buy their stupid specific hoses they think. Would it have killed them to just use NPT?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.