Pump getting power but does not start and make no sound

scwp

Aug 14, 2016
St. Petersburg
I have a pump with a Sta-Rite 1 HP, 1.25 SFHP motor that recently stopped working. For what it's worth the exact model number is PHK2RA6E-102L.

When you hit the timer switch the pump does not start and doesn't make any sound at all--no humming, no clicking, just silence.

I am certain that the pump never ran dry.

I used a basic voltage tester to verify that power is getting to the pump (I tested at the connections under the cover at the back of the motor), though I don't know the exact voltage since this was just a basic tester.

I've tried replacing the capacitor on the top of the motor but it still won't start.

Any ideas?

I just think it's odd that it's not making any noise at all. Maybe it's getting power but not quite enough? Is it possible the breaker blew and is damaged enough to not provide adequate current to start the motor but still just enough to be detected by a voltage tester?

I picked up a better tester and will re-test tomorrow. In the meantime any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a better tester check the voltage coming into the timer (Line side) Depending on model of timer this could be 120v or 240v. If neither check back at the breaker to see what the voltage is, usually a 240v circuit will be a double pole breaker and 120v a single pole. If the voltage is correct at breaker and timer line side than switch on timer and check load side, if proper voltage and motor is still dead, check wiring diagram on side of motor to see if it is connected properly for the incoming voltage. If that is ok than you probably have a dead motor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.