Pump Basket Not 100% Full

TwinMomWendy

Feb 6, 2021
Wichita, KS
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a Hayward VSP pump. When I prime the pump the pump basket fills completely but when I have it set at 1150 RPM within about 12 to 18 hours the water is no longer at the top. I'm assuming this is because of the low speed I have the pump running at. There is still water flowing through just not a full basket. Is this an issue? If it is an issue do I just need to turn the speed up on the pump or could there be another problem. New pool owner from a winter build. We just turned everything on a week ago so I'm trying to learn. Thank you!175872945_10102916740840232_8262129191136693491_n.jpg

most will do the same thing, mine does it running at 800 rpm and I take it to 1500 rpm for 2 hours now running my SWG...... you can raise the rpm for 10 minutes 1 or 2 times a day if you want.. it is not hurting anything..

Hard to tell in the picture just how low it is, mine will develop a small bit of air after hours on end at low RPM but it's not like the basket is only half full. I don't think it's an "issue" necessarily provided it never goes dry, but the air is coming from somewhere. Lube and snug down your pump lid and drain plugs if you haven't already.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I agree, just how low are we talking.. I have a 2 inch bubble in the lid after 10 hours... Low by an inch or 2 is not normal...

I just went out to take a picture of mine and it does not have any air at all except 2 little bubbles floating around...

I agree, just how low are we talking.. I have a 2 inch bubble in the lid after 10 hours... Low by an inch or 2 is not normal...

I just went out to take a picture of mine and it does not have any air at all except 2 little bubbles floating around...
It is probably 1 to 1.5 inches below the top of the white basket. I fell like it should be ok as there is still a fair amount of water going through it but I just don't want to ruin a new pump.

Hard to tell in the picture just how low it is, mine will develop a small bit of air after hours on end at low RPM but it's not like the basket is only half full. I don't think it's an "issue" necessarily provided it never goes dry, but the air is coming from somewhere. Lube and snug down your pump lid and drain plugs if you haven't already.
Thanks. When I looked this morning it is about 1 to 1.5 inches below the white basket. I will lube the lid tonight and see if that helps. I just don't want to ruin a new pump!

take that o ring out and clean the top and o ring really good with soap and water then lube it up and reinstall :)

1 to 2 inches low is not so good, hopefully lubing the o ring works :)

Reactions: TwinMomWendy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.