Pump and filter fixed and running, now working on water

This morning test at

FC 10ppm
CC 0
Ph 7.8
CYA 45
TA 110

I added no chlorine yesterday and it lost 6ppm from 6:30am (5/1). Water clarity etc looks great.
What do you think? Keep shocking? I'm not losing at night for days now. How long do I need to keep this up so high?

Thanks for all your help through this.
Anne

Hi all, me again. I hope this post gets looked at, it's been awhile but I'm afraid to start a new topic!

A week out from all the test and my numbers are as follows:
FC 3.5
CC 0
Ph 7.8
TA 100
CYA 35

I seem to have really overshot the TA based on the recommended levels chart. Should I be trying to bring this down to 70-90? What is the best way to do this - I think I remember reading aerating? and something else... don't want to overshoot in the other direction either so thought I would ask first.

My CYA is in range but the low side. Should I be trying to move this up a tad?

Thanks!
Anne

Yes, bring CYA up just a little. It will drift down over the course of the swim season and you want it to still be above 30 at the end of the season.

Your TA isn't that high, I wouldn't bother actively trying to lower TA. Instead, just lower the PH to 7.2 any time it gets up to 7.8 and the TA will come down over time.

Sooo..... Everything seemed ok for a few weeks and I decided to do a full test this morning.

It looks like my CYA swung up a lot higher (I guess I should've waited longer - a week or two - before adding more when it wasn't moving up) because it's now at about 55-60.

FC needs to be raised since it had been a couple days since I added and Ph popped back up although I tried to lower it a bit and was successful for a short time.

tC 2.0
ph 7.8
CYA 55-60
TA 100

I'm thinking I need to check the Ch too because we've had a lot of rain (unusual for now) and just well, I haven't checked in awhile.

Any suggestions on what I should do? According to the chart, my CYA is a little high. Can I leave it or should I try to lower it?
Obviously I know I need quite a bit more chlorine with that CYA level so I'll be adding that today.

Thanks
Anne

Good morning, Anne,

Assuming your water looks good, your numbers reflect a pool without serious trouble.

You can live with CYA 55-60 just fine....esp. if you get a lot of sun. adjust FC accordingly....5-7ppm and keep it there.

The pH in my pool climbs as well. I simply accept it and add enough acid to take it to 7.2-7.4 after it gets to 7.8

Checking CH once monthly is usually just fine for a gunite pool. 250-400ppm

Hi all,

You have been such a great help with teaching me about getting the levels right, as well as the invaluable tool of The Pool Calculator. I love it.

I have been keeping an eye on my water, mostly just checking Ph and chlorine levels every other day and all items about every 3 weeks. Hopefully that's OK.

Every two days I have to add Ph - although I've punched the numbers into the pool calculator, it seems that I cannot actually get my Ph to 7.2 like I am trying...

This morning:
FC 4
CC .5
Ph 7.5
CYA 55
TA 70
CH 625 (I think it may be closer to 500, as I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. In fact, I should probably go and do it again)

Because someone mentioned that they could live with high Ch, I thought I would try this too. I have to add water regularly due to evaporation (not much, I leave the water on about 30 minutes). I'm curious if it's possible that this has any effect on the Ph - like why I can't seem to get it down to the number I am aiming for? I seem to be going through a lot of MA since every time I add, it's like a gallon and then I don't actually get to the number I am aiming for... Or is there some special way of adding it that may be better than whatever I am doing?

Water clarity is lovely if that makes any difference! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The best way to add acid is to pour slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.

The PH wants to rise, the lower you get the PH, the faster it rises. The effect can be reduced by lowering TA, but won't go away completely. Without borates I would only let TA go down to 60.

You might want to add borates. They will help stabilize your PH a little and allow you to go to lower TA level than you otherwise could.

You are basically alright where you are now, as long as you keep PH from going too high. But as CH gets higher you need to get more aggressive about keeping PH down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.