Pucks in Floater

1RtBstrd

Gold Supporter
May 14, 2018
Cedar Rapids, IA
My CYA has fallen from 40 to 30 and the previous home owner left a large bucket of 3" 98.6% dichlor tabs. I'd like to get these used up, and figured now would be an opportune time. My questions are how much total CYA will be added? I have no idea how much each puck weighs. Also, how much Cl should I expect from each puck per day?

My typical Cl drop has been right at 4 ppm per day. I'm still planning on testing everyday, so if the amount of CYA that needs added doesn't warrant enough pucks to maintain my Cl level, that's no big deal, I will just add 12.5% liquid chlorine to make up the difference.

Thanks for any advice.

So according to Pool Math I need 6 pucks to get my CYA back to my target of 40. This raises FC by 19, but I'm assuming this calculation is based on all the chlorine being available as soon as you drop the floater in the water. My understanding of pucks is that this is not the case, as they may take several days to dissolve. This would result in the largest amount of added FC added early in the life of the puck with added FC diminishing over time due to the decreased surface area for the water to work on dissolving the puck.

So I should be able to add all 6 pucks to the floater at the same time, assuming it will take over a week for them to dissolve.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So according to Pool Math I need 6 pucks to get my CYA back to my target of 40. This raises FC by 19, but I'm assuming this calculation is based on all the chlorine being available as soon as you drop the floater in the water. My understanding of pucks is that this is not the case, as they may take several days to dissolve. This would result in the largest amount of added FC added early in the life of the puck with added FC diminishing over time due to the decreased surface area for the water to work on dissolving the puck.

So I should be able to add all 6 pucks to the floater at the same time, assuming it will take over a week for them to dissolve.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've never been able to fit more than 4 in a floater at once. And I've always left town when I've done it, so I don't know how rapidly they dissolve. I've never been around to look.

Pucks last a little over a week in my floater. They probably won’t dissolve fast enough to keep up with your 4ppm demand. I would just load up your floater and continue to test and add liquid daily. With the pucks in there you will just have to add a little less than normal until they completely dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.