Proper way to start a Brand New pool

ptjackson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2007
Okay so they tell me that the liner will be in for my vinyl liner pool this weekend and I will start filling it. I want to do it right so I ordered the test kit from duraleigh tonight. My pool is about a 30K gal vinyl lined pool with the DIG-60 Autopilot, 1.5 HP wisperflow and 700lb sand filter.

1. When do I add the salt for the pool? I assume I need to test first before b/c the water will have some salt naturally?

2. What do I set the SWG on once the Salt is in the pool.

3. Is the only chemical I need right now acid?

4. If I don't have a test kit when I get the pool full, how long do I have before things start getting ugly. 2 days? Should I add some liquid bleach to tide me over? It will be about 80 deg here over the next week or so.

5. What else should I do to start this thing right?

I know from reading it's a lot easier to keep a pool in check then try and fix it when it get's out of control. So I want to do it right from the start.

Thanks everyone

I'd start a pool with Dichlor, cause it has the CYA in it.

You need to bring up the chlorine level to the required one manually, SWG is not designed to startup pools, they are supposed to maintain the required level of chlorine.

pH is something you don't have to worry about until you get your test kit.

CYA - once you reach the required level you will need to check it periodically and add some more if necessary to replace the stuff lost through backwash or splashout.

Salt - needs to go there before you turn on the SWG. ideally you need to put it in and let the water circulate to mix it all up. Again, wait for the test kit, and test before you put any salt in. You never know, maybe your builder already tossed a bag or so in.

You need to be putting chlorine in once the water is there, otherwise you might run into problems with algae.

ptjackson said:
Okay so they tell me that the liner will be in for my vinyl liner pool this weekend and I will start filling it. I want to do it right so I ordered the test kit from duraleigh tonight. My pool is about a 30K gal vinyl lined pool with the DIG-60 Autopilot, 1.5 HP wisperflow and 700lb sand filter.

1. When do I add the salt for the pool? I assume I need to test first before b/c the water will have some salt naturally? Not much, but checking first will insure accuracy

2. What do I set the SWG on once the Salt is in the pool. Out of my league...consult manufacturer?

3. Is the only chemical I need right now acid? I'd buy 1 gallon of clorox for each night prior to running your SWG. I personally prefer to add stabilizer (CYA) as a seperate calculation but that's my personal choice. Dichlor, trichlor, Cal-hypo are other possibiities but I think they are somewhat confusing to newbies.

4. If I don't have a test kit when I get the pool full, how long do I have before things start getting ugly. 2 days? Should I add some liquid bleach to tide me over? It will be about 80 deg here over the next week or so. The bleach I suggested above will keep your pool clear 'til you can use the SWG

5. What else should I do to start this thing right? Read everything you can in the "Stickies" Ask lot's of questions on this forum. Don't let the PB confuse your start-up by "tossing in" chemistry that you don't know the purpose of. Just tell him to leave itin the garage and you'll take care of it....or give you financial credit.

I know from reading it's a lot easier to keep a pool in check then try and fix it when it get's out of control. So I want to do it right from the start.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for your order. DHL projects delivery on Wednesday. 5/14

Gonna' be a nice pool........good choice on that great big filter...you won't regret that a minute.

I didn't answer #3 very well. You will definitely need stabilizer (CYA) About 12 lbs will bring you up around 50ppm. You'll need some more but make that your initial dose.

Download JasonLion's pool calc from his sig and practice using it a time or two.....it's very helpful

I'd wait on anything else until you post your first test results. It'll all be stuff that is easily obtainable at the grocery store or Home Depot/Lowe's and you'll be off to a perfect BBB start.

the Pool Calc is invaluable.

one thing i've found for me personally is, i have to use individual chemicals... when i start using dichlor, trichlor and all the stuff that has multiple ones in it, i lose track of where i'm at. i'd rather be very systematic and add X ounces of acid, X ounces of bleach, X pounds of CYA, this way I know exactly how much of what has been put in. as far as the salt and chlorine, I'd say start it at 80% and add the necessary bleach in to get the chlorine established in the pool (qty per the Pool Calc), then let the salt maintain.

just me.

pt,

Thanks for selecting the Pool Pilot system.

Everone's reply has been on the money.

I would recommend, in addition, that you test your chlorine prior to starting up the Digital, then again after a few days. Do not add any more chlorine by hand once you've turned the Digital on.
Adjust the Purifier % setting higher or lower, depending on what your chlorine level does after the two days or NORMAL operation.
After a few adjustments, you should be able to find the correct setting to accomodate the use of your pool. Thereafter, the automatic temperature compensation should maintain the % setting as water temps change, automatically (so done be concerned if you see the % is different from what you set it on).
About the only times you may need more chlorine, such as with parties or bad weather conditions, use the BOOST button to get more chlorine in the pool, or as is suggested quite often here, manually add chlorine so that you can save on the life of the cell.

Good luck and ask questions when you need help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.