Problems with Sta Rite 3 Filter

Aug 9, 2013
Rochester, NY
Hi all -

Just moved and inherited a new in-ground pool with a setup that I am not familiar with. Previous owners left the pool a mess, did not maintain last year and must have simply closed the pool without managing it.

The filter system is a Sta Rite 3 cartridge - and I can tell by taking the filters out originally that they are in rough shape (deep green color before intense cleaning, possibly ~10 years old).

My problem is that I have having trouble getting water clear. The brown swamp has gradually turned to a very cloudy green/blue, however, the PSI on the filter will jump to ~ 20 after only a couple hours of use (clean psi ~12).

With my work schedule, I don't have time to constantly be unscrewing the filter and soaking/hosing them (takes ~30 minutes each time). Seems to me my options are:

1) Buy new filters (~$300) and hope that solves the issue

2) Buy a new sand filter and go back to the setup I am accustomed to

3) Find a better way to permanetly clean the existing filters? (Have already tried soaking them with the pleatco tablets, etc.)

Any other ideas? I can barely vacuum the pool because the suction gets so weak after so little time. I've already tried to scoop as much debris as I can using a leaf rake from the bottom, and am trying my best to keep the pool at shock level.

FC = 10
PH = 7.2
TA = 60
CYA = 20

Thank you!

From what I know of those filters, they are pretty efficient almost to the point of two efficient and will clog very quickly. The cartridges also tend to be much more difficult to clean than normal cartridge filters due to the number of pleats or something. Basically when I've ever encountered the system filters on this forum it seems that the owners hate them :)

I would be hesitant to recommend buying new filters, as they are likely expensive and you may encounter the same issues you have now. Having to deal with an algae bloom with a DE filter or a cartridge filter can be quite the nightmare. Best to just maintain the water properly so you don't have to deal with things like this :)

From what I know of those filters, they are pretty efficient almost to the point of two efficient and will clog very quickly. The cartridges also tend to be much more difficult to clean than normal cartridge filters due to the number of pleats or something. Basically when I've ever encountered the system filters on this forum it seems that the owners hate them :)

I would be hesitant to recommend buying new filters, as they are likely expensive and you may encounter the same issues you have now. Having to deal with an algae bloom with a DE filter or a cartridge filter can be quite the nightmare. Best to just maintain the water properly so you don't have to deal with things like this :)

Oh agreed 100% - with my old house I did well keeping up with water balance. Bought this house in the winter.. uncovered the pool and discovered the brown swamp!

And you are correct, simply unscrewing the filter is a hassle in itself!

If you were to go back to a sand filter it would likely take longer to filter out all the debris. You might try connecting a waste hose to the drain of the filter, remove the cartridges, close the filter and try to vacuum to waste. If this works, let the pool sit overnight with the pump off to let as much debris settle as possible, then vacuum slowly to collect as much as possible without stirring up the debris. When you are finished vacuuming put the cartridges back in and turn the pump back on. If a lot of debris settles and is vacuumed out that may help the cartridges go longer between cleanings.

If you were to go back to a sand filter it would likely take longer to filter out all the debris. You might try connecting a waste hose to the drain of the filter, remove the cartridges, close the filter and try to vacuum to waste. If this works, let the pool sit overnight with the pump off to let as much debris settle as possible, then vacuum slowly to collect as much as possible without stirring up the debris. When you are finished vacuuming put the cartridges back in and turn the pump back on. If a lot of debris settles and is vacuumed out that may help the cartridges go longer between cleanings.

Good idea, I may try this - thanks! At least with a sand filter though I can backwash in a few minutes and get back to decent circulation. My circulation is consistently poor throughout the day while I am at work because the PSI gets too high too fast.

Just a quick follow-up: do I need to actually remove the filters in this scenario if my waste outlet is on a diverter valve and is located between my pump and filter? Seems to me like I could simply close the flow to the filter and have it pump directly out the waste outlet.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you need some new cartridges... I know the system 3 cartridges should last a while, but 10 years is a bit too long, especially if you are seeing the pressure jump after cleaning it.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I did even try soaking them with two of the Pleatco tablets in a large barrel. Pressure went down to normal (12 psi), but was back up around 20 in no time.

10 years would just be a guess based on when the pool was built, there is no way to know as I just bought the house. Maybe I will try to order new filters and see how it goes..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.