timopp

May 5, 2019
Northern Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are now two weeks after AA treatment ( with citric acid and Proteam Metal Magic) and my pool is still very cloudy. I have been running the pump 24 x 7 for that last 5 days and not seeing much change, I have backwashed twice once my pressure levels got high.

This is a plaster pool and my numbers are:
FC 3.
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 30
CH 250

I had just opened and wanted to remove some iron staining. It would seem that my filter is not doing it's job, although the pressure does climb and I inspected the sand at closing last fall.
Would some type of flocculant help? I have just tried to keep my FC at the lowest level at advice from the AA page.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

Good morning Tim. While it is true that after the AA you want to be cautious about raising the FC too quickly or too high, it does still need to be at the proper level to prevent algae. Since your are 2 weeks past the AA, I would first recommend increasing the FC just a bit more to about 4-5 ppm. Monitor the pool for any changes due to iron reaction. Then this evening do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Let's be sure that organics didn't overwhelm your water during the AA process.

Curious, did you use Polyquat or anything else during/after the AA other than the sequestrant for the iron?

Thanks Texas. The I started it was still pretty cool here in Norther Virginia so an algae bloom was not my biggest concern. I was thinking this would be a 4 day project.

I added the chlorine so will see what it looks like tomorrow

Reactions: Texas Splash
If there something I can add to help my filter efficiency?
That depends. If it's truly a matter of the sand needing more time, you can add a little DE to help it be a bit more efficient. But if it's due to organics sneaking in and taking over, no amount of filtering will help. I know your water was still cool, but did you ever do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.