Problems blowing out lines

Midwestdude

Jun 19, 2020
Indiana
I’m attempting to blow out my pool lines and I’m not having any luck. I have an I in-ground pool with 1 skinner, 2 return jets, and one main drain. I have the sand filter set to recirculate. I have a pancake compressor with a 6 gallon tank that charges up to 150 psi.

I opened the two drain plugs on my pump and the one on my sand filter to drain the water out then re-plugged the sand filter and one of the drain plugs in the pump. In the other pump plug I installed a 1/4” npt fitting for the air hose. With the compressor charged to 150 psi and my regulator set at around 5psi. I first tried the main drain. So I closed the skimmer and return line valve. Connected the air hose and nothing. Even raising the psi on the regulator doesn’t do anything except exhaust the air in the tank. I’ve tried the same thing for the return lines and the skimmer.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 16
I pretty much do the same thing with a 6 gal compressor except, I leave it on filter, I leave the valve open for both the main drain and skimmers, I hook my compressor up to pump drain like you and just turn on compressor. As the compressor runs and air is pumped into lines, when the first skimmer bubbles, I plug it, then the next skimmer bubbles, I plug it, then a return bubbles, I plug it, then other return bubble, I plug it, then main drain bubbles, I then turn main drain to OFF at the same time turn off compressor. I just created an air lock for main drain. I don’t build pressure up in tank, I just let the motor push air into the lines and push out the water.

I just don’t know why your method doesn’t work, It sounds right except may take it off recirculate and try it.

Got it to work it works it just took a little time to put enough air in my system to start pushing water out. Got everything blown out and plugged or water-locked. Winter cover is on and water bags placed. Thank you for the reply confirming I was on the right track. I kept a log of every step I took along the way so it should be easier next year.

Only other issues I had was some idiot (aka me)didn’t fold the winter cover correctly last winter so it’d be easy to unfold.

Reactions: Spitdog
I fold my cover accordion style so it deploys fast. I mark the end of a strap with a red piece of tape so I know how to lay it on the deck before I roll it out. Glad you got it figured out. Next time you will be twice as fast.

I fold my cover accordion style so it deploys fast. I mark the end of a strap with a red piece of tape so I know how to lay it on the deck before I roll it out. Glad you got it figured out. Next time you will be twice as fast.
Yep that’s how was wishing I had done it. I think was too much in a hurry to get it off. My future self didn’t appreciate that.

Only other question I have is I hear some people put antifreeze in the pump, but, wouldn’t you need to re-plug the pump so the antifreeze stays in the pump? Right now I just have it unplugged.

Yep that’s how was wishing I had done it. I think was too much in a hurry to get it off. My future self didn’t appreciate that.

Only other question I have is I hear some people put antifreeze in the pump, but, wouldn’t you need to re-plug the pump so the antifreeze stays in the pump? Right now I just have it unplugged.
I always remove my pump and put it in the basement. It has these PVC unions on the pipes that make it easy. It looks like yours does also.

I'm a little hesitant to remove the pump, I would need to undo the electrical connections as well since it's direct wired. I know people around here who just put antifreeze in the pump, I'm guessing they just put the plugs back in the pump and pour in some antifreeze. Currently the pump is still in place, both plugs removed and stored in the basket in the garage. The cover still on the pump. The filter I have the drain plug also in the pump basket, valve set to winterize, air relief valve open and the pressure gauge and sight glass both stored in the pump basket as well.

I was thinking of putting a tarp around the pump to help protect it from snow. The previous pump we had stayed outside all winter every year, this is the first winter with the new Pentair SuperFlo VS. pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a little hesitant to remove the pump, I would need to undo the electrical connections as well since it's direct wired. I know people around here who just put antifreeze in the pump, I'm guessing they just put the plugs back in the pump and pour in some antifreeze. Currently the pump is still in place, both plugs removed and stored in the basket in the garage. The cover still on the pump. The filter I have the drain plug also in the pump basket, valve set to winterize, air relief valve open and the pressure gauge and sight glass both stored in the pump basket as well.

I was thinking of putting a tarp around the pump to help protect it from snow. The previous pump we had stayed outside all winter every year, this is the first winter with the new Pentair SuperFlo VS. pump.
I don’t put antifreeze in the pump. If all the water is out, it doesn’t need antifreeze anyway. Just leave the plugs out and it'll be fine. I may find a cover for mine as well since it had a squeaky bearing last year when I started it back up.

I'm no expert by any means but everything I read says you should not put antifreeze right into the pump as it can damage components (no idea why), and that not only there is no need to cover the pump, but that putting it under a tarp may indeed just create a cozy habitat for racoons or rodents that then chew up your cables.... something to think about!

I feel the main issue with covering the pump is that moisture doesn't have the opportunity to dry out nearly as fast under the tarp. So more moisture means more chance the bearings will rust and get squeaky or freeze the motor at startup. Even without a cover to hold moisture, the snow piles up on it and it that's not good either. My first pump didn't do well the first several winters even uncovered (though it was slightly buried in river rock an inch or two). It locked up year one and a hammer freed it up. The next year it froze. They put new bearings in it. Then I started removing it. It was already compromised and lasted a few more years. My new pump is several years old and I remove it (just did that last night) and it's running perfectly. I'll never leave my pump out for the winter again - way to expensive to gamble with such an easy alternative. It is hardwired but takes only a few minutes to disconnect once you have the hang of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.