Proactively replacing equipment

skinpath

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Pittsford, NY
The pool I have came with the house I purchased about 6 years ago. Not sure when the equipment was installed, but probably close to 10 years prior to my buying the house.

Everything seems to runs fine (although I think the pump is a little noisier this year than prior years), but I'm guessing the equipment is about 15 years old (The heater looks like it has an '07 manufacture date - attached a couple of pictures). Would you recommend replacing the equipment proactively?

Attachments

• IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC05625.JPG
    DSC05625.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC05626.JPG
    DSC05626.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC05627.JPG
    DSC05627.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 12
Ok. It's good to know that equipment can last that long! I think that one of my concerns is that if the pump does break, given supply chain and workforce issues, I may not be able to get a good replacement for a while.

I think that one of my concerns is that if the pump does break, given supply chain and workforce issues, I may not be able to get a good replacement for a while.
Man, we are a special breed of folks here, huh ?

Your concern is entirely valid, but it goes much further than your pool. Are you buying one of the few vehicles on dealer lots right now ? You won't be able to find what you want if yours dies. How about a new dishwasher ? It took months to get ours. Furniture? Pffffffft. I just canceled an order for a couch that we ordered the day after Christmas because it was a present for my daughter's room and she will be leaving after her senior year next year. She lost 25% of the time home with her present. :ROFLMAO: (we went back and settled for one they had in stock).

Anywho, the point is that you might as well let everything run It's course and deal with the one or two hiccups that arise. If you had to tomorrow, you could find a pump that would work, albeit not the one you wanted. In a year or two when things improve, you could sell it and put the money towards the pump you wanted.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Man, we are a special breed of folks here, huh ?

Your concern is entirely valid, but it goes much further than your pool. Are you buying one of the few vehicles on dealer lots right now ? You won't be able to find what you want if yours dies. How about a new dishwasher ? It took months to get ours. Furniture? Pffffffft. I just canceled an order for a couch that we ordered the day after Christmas because it was a present for my daughter's room and she will be leaving after her senior year next year. She lost 25% of the time home with her present. :ROFLMAO: (we went back and settled for one they had in stock).

Anywho, the point is that you might as well let everything run It's course and deal with the one or two hiccups that arise. If you had to tomorrow, you could find a pump that would work, albeit not the one you wanted. In a year or two when things improve, you could sell it and put the money towards the pump you wanted.
It's funny you say that - I actually had to get a new car AND a new dishwasher in the past year. I think I got lucky, since we didn't have to wait too long for either, but I'm sure I paid a premium for the car. I guess I dodged a bullet by not ordering any furniture :).

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll wait till something breaks and deal with it then.

Reactions: newdude
I just replaced about a 15 year old 3/4hp pool pump that was still working ok - didn't want to get caught with a dead pump and then a green pool when the pump finally dies. Took a few days to get the pump and then a few hours to put it in. So, skinpath, I did what you were thinking - only because I did not want to have to replace a pump under duress if the current one failed. I don't think it is a bad idea...especially since your current pump looks like a single speed pump. Replacing it with a variable speed pump would probably pay for itself in 24 months, or even less if your utility offers a rebate.

Reactions: skinpath
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.