Noblesville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
We have an old pool with metal walls that are painted over; they are rusting, bleeding through the paint, and developing holes. I bought Plexiglas panels that I plan to glue over the existing walls with Permaseal, trying to make them as watertight as possible to prevent further corrosion, leaks, and the rust staining. Where there are existing spots that were week enough to push the the wall and to the pea gravel behind, I plan to patch over with a little hydraulic cement. I was then going to put up the Plexiglas from the ridge where the flat metal walls meet the gunite and then paint over it with an epoxy paint. There is a small gap at the top of the panels, which I'm planning to put a 1" tile all the way around to cover the gap from the Plexiglas to the coping.

I'm trying to prevent as much of the rust bleeding as possible, and protect the walls as much as possible, so now I'm thinking it may be good to add a primer over the walls, after the hydraulic cement patching, before attaching the Plexiglas. Maybe even another coat over the edges and seams of the Plexiglas to try and waterproof it as much as possible.

Can anybody recommend a primer that would be best for this? There's rust primer and pool primer (mostly for going right over the gunite or after sandblasting, or over a plastic), but not if there's a pool primer that will also help with rust. I was looking at 'Olympic Fusion Plus Pool Primer Conversion Coating'.

I had stopped in and asked at Sherwin Williams as well, they'll called a supplier today and asked, they recommended an oil-based primer over the sanded-down rust spots to help protect/seal it, not necessarily worry about the pool aspect as much since it's being covered by the Plexiglas panels and then painted over with the epoxy paint.

I just don't know that any of it is going to make it water-tight in the long term and prevent any further deterioration or rust bleed-through.

You might want to consider hitting all the rust with a rust converter after sanding it down a bit and before hitting it with a primer.

You might want to consider hitting all the rust with a rust converter after sanding it down a bit and before hitting it with a primer.
Thanks, will do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.