Middletown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all. First time posting here so apologies if this is not proper protocol. Also a first-time homeowner and with it came a pool. I love it but as we all know it can be a lot of work. PSI jumped up to about 30-35 from 20 and noticed a slight gurgling on the filter so there’s air flowing somewhere. Popped open where the check valve is and looks like I have a bad one. Pool guys aren’t available on the weekend and I need some peace of mind so I had two questions for the group. First, will a bad or misplaced valve cause an INCREASE in pressure? Seems counterintuitive to me but I’m assuming yes. Secondly, is this as simple as just getting a new valve or do I need to get the whole cover? Not sure how compatible these things are as I can’t find the exact part online. It is a Waterway product. Attached pics. Obviously the cap is already popped off but just showing for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help. It’s taking some getting used to but certainly worth it. This is a fantastic site and have used it a few times already. My next post will be much shorter and condensed. Just wasnt sure how to explain this stuff. Have a great 4th all!!

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    568.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the forum!

First, will a bad or misplaced valve cause an INCREASE in pressure?
Absolutely. It is probably blocking the check valve exit.

Seems counterintuitive to me but I’m assuming yes. Secondly, is this as simple as just getting a new valve or do I need to get the whole cover?
The replacement valve comes with a cover. It could be this:

Welcome to the forum!

Absolutely. It is probably blocking the check valve exit.

The replacement valve comes with a cover. It could be this:

Great! That’s the one I was just looking at. Really appreciate the quick response. Lastly, looks like the part can’t get here until Monday. Is it okay to have the pump run every 8 hours even with a little air? Or should I just leave it off until then. Thanks again!

Why would there be air? Put back the cover and leave off the flapper.
Gotcha. I was hearing some slight gurgling on the filter and wasn’t sure if not having the flap would screw up circulation and cause air. I’m probably talking nonsense so pardon the ignorance. Really appreciate the time and help. Thanks!

Any air in the filter is probably due to a separate issue such as a suction side air leak. Do you have any air in the pump basket while it is running?

Any air in the filter is probably due to a separate issue such as a suction side air leak. Do you have any air in the pump basket while it is running?
Pic attached if you can see it. Water is just above the basket itself so there is some air but I opened the valve on top of the filter and it’s spitting out water - no air at all.

Attachments

• IMG_6455.jpeg
    IMG_6455.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6456.jpeg
    IMG_6456.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 2
That is a little too much air and probably indicates an air leak. A small quarter size or less is normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.