michaelesebring

Mar 19, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Last season my parents had me put up an above ground pool (12'x24' 9,000 gals). Unfortunately, the included pump/filter was entirely inadequate.
I'd like to upgrade their current system, (0.5HP & 20 lb sand vessel) but with enough power to also run an auto vac on the filter side.
I'm considering a 1HP pump with 19" (100lb) sand vessel from Waterway and would like to pair the system with a Hayward "The Pool Cleaner"/Aquanaut/Phoenix 2-wheel vacuum.
It may be a bit overkill but my 75 yr old Mom is getting to old to clean the pool by herself. I'd like to make her pool maintenance as easy as possible.
Can this proposed upgrade be done without damage to the pool?
If this is too much for her little pool, could you please suggest an alternative?

Thank you for your time and kind attention. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Best regards,
Michael

Is this a soft side Intex/Bestway or traditional hard side above ground pool? Just wondering if it has standard fittings or whether you'll be using intex adaptors.

That waterway system seems to be within the price range of a more name brand system like Hayward or Pentair.

Hey Michael and Welcome !! It is very true that many of the packaged pools equipment is undersized and getting larger equipment will usually help a great deal.

A larger pump/filter will help get rid of more stuff that happens to fall in the pool, but it won’t do a thing for the chemistry. Many people have been led to believe that the pump holds the key to the chemistry and simply running it is the way to a clean pool. The filter can only filter out dead things and cannot kill anything living in the water. That’s where the daily chemistry comes into play. Your Moms Chlorine will keep everything sanitary and the filter will remove all the dead particles. A larger system will do the exact same thing as the smaller system, only quicker. And you’ll need to clean the filter less because of the larger capacity. (a big + for your mom).

This robot comes highly recommended and is off the charts for bang for the buck. Just plug it in to a standard outlet and watch it go, far cheaper than running the pump and no akward hoses needed. Pool Rover Junior review-aka Lil Kim

I love the Pool Rover Junior, but word of warning - it is heavy. Your mom may struggle to get it out of the pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Your advice and encouragement are invaluable.
We're finally ready to upgrade my mom's pump & sand filter for her above ground pool. Amazon had a good price for the Hayward Pro Series 1.5HP w/21" sand filter so went ahead and bought it. However, I have two questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. I'm considering the Baracuda/Zodiac Ranger for the auto-vac. It seems much easier to repair and maintain. (any thoughts on the Ranger?)

2. Non-Standard Filter Media for Sand Filter.
I would greatly appreciate any knowledge re: the "good, bad & the ugly" of Filter Balls.
There are several sand alternatives for sand filters, most look like spongy balls. All their marketing materials would have you believe their filter balls are "Space Age" and "perfectly safe".
Well, are they?

There are several sand alternatives for sand filters, most look like spongy balls. All their marketing materials would have you believe their filter balls are "Space Age" and "perfectly safe".
Well, are they
Well they are perfectly safe, so there is that. But it’s been said that the best thing one could say about any alternative sand media is that they filter as well as sand. Most won’t. If the best you can say about another is that, why not just use the tried and true (and cheap) sand ?

Thanks for each of your advice. I agree, why mess with the tried-and-true if the sand is working. Then I looked at the goopy mess that comes with changing sand and knowing I would be the one to have to do it when the time came. Given the downside seems minimal the mess looks much easier to manage we're going to roll the dice and try filter balls in her new Hayward sand filter.
Looks like some pool additives like shock should be used sparingly, maybe 1/2 the expected dose. Allegedly, adding the prescribed amount of shock to a filter ball system can cause them to gum up and need to be replaced prematurely.

We just added the balls to the system and her pool looks fantastic, right now... we'll keep an eye on things and keep you apprised of our progress. I'm guardedly optimistic about our chances of success. I guess time will tell. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. You've given me the courage to try something new!
Best regards,
Michael

I encourage you to read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, linked in my signature. Proper chemistry is 90% of the battle, and it’s amazingly easy to do, as long as you have a good test kit.

Also, sand doesn’t need to be changed, unless you have used flocculants and other such potions. I’ve had sand filters for years and never, not once, have I ever needed to change the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.