Post the test results of your source water.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Pool Size
The water we use to fill and top off our pools impacts our water chemistry and how we find the balance.
So what is the source of your fill water and how does it test?
I expect we will see some geographical trends as we get results.

My water source is municipal well water in central California.

FC 0.4
pH 7.4
TA 175
CH 110

After a complete fill I had to add calcium chloride initially due to my pool surface and I expect my CH will very slowly rise over the years with evaporation but don't expect it will need amending. Also I don't back flush my DE system so my primary water loss is evaporation and less as splash out.
My pH drifts up slowly and I use 1.5-2qts of muratic acid 14.5% every 14-20 days on average due to the TA.

I don't test my water for metals, sulfate or nitrates but the city does and lists the average:

Iron 0.13ppm
Copper 0.26ppm
Sulfate 8.3ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

So what's in your source water?

Check phosphates too. Municipal water suppliers sometimes add them. Salinity can be measured as well.

My water is a blend of municipal wells and surface water from the CAP (Central Arizona Project).

pH ~ 7.8-8.0
TA ~ 120ppm
CH ~ 280-300ppm
Cl- ~ 160ppm
Temp ~ 78F (typical)

FC < 0.5ppm
CC ~ 1.0ppm (from monochloramine used in chloramination process)

No iron or copper. Phosphate levels are zero as well (because I'm on the newer side of the plumbing with non-metallic water pipes).

Annual pan evaporation rate ~90-100 in/year. Avg. Annual rain fall is 10" or less. So my entire pool volume evaporates away in a year. My CH rises about 300ppm/year consistent with input water hardness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.