Possible pinhole in vinyl?

Apr 7, 2016
Derby, KS
Hey all, just had a new 27 mil liner installed. The builder recommended not using sidewall foam because it would help the liner resist puncture. Ok, he’s the professional and liable for the install. Today I noticed that there was a pointed bump about a foot underneath the water level that was fairly prominent. It caught my hand as I rubbed it over the area. I haven’t noticed anything crazy but since this is my first liner I’ve put in, I’m just a tad worried so I took a picture of the bump. Does this look like a hole to anyone or just a depression in the vinyl? 1293759B-21F4-49D2-B8BB-20212E101B99.jpeg

That looks a little holey to me - can u do a food coloring test to see if it is indeed leaking? I’d be calling the pb especially since you described it as a pointy bump. I just wonder what’s behind there?

Yeah, I’m going to contact them tomorrow. Trying to gather info right now, make sure I’m not over reacting. I tried food coloring but couldn’t tell if it was going to the hole or not. Might have been doing it wrong though.

Turn the pump off & make sure the water is super still before putting a drop just near the pinhole. The pb should be able to detect a leak . I just really question what’s behind the liner like a rock?

Reactions: bmtrimp
So I just tried the food color test after the pump was off all night. It doesn't look like it's leaking. Spoke with the pool builder and he said that he isn't worried about it since it's on the wall and it doesn't look like it's leaking or anything. So I guess at this point I just hope it doesn't get worse and I can get ten years out of the liner. That or will have to patch once it does go. I just hate the idea of a patch especially since it's only been 2 months since install. The pool is 30 years old though so it might be showing it's age. Builder thought it might be rust, I figured they would have checked for issues like that at time of install.

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
He isn’t worried cuz its not his pool. Did you notice rust during the install? I think he just doesn’t wanna deal with it. Its not too far from the top so draining a bit & looking back there wouldn’t be unreasonable to ask I wouldn’t imagine. Although i’m not sure exactly how your coping is attached or the way your pool is constructed.
You can either ride it out or
call/pay someone else to investigate.
Definitely glad it’s not leaking at least.
Its sucks to pay good $ for something & have no support. ☹

Yeah, fairly frustrating. I’ve thought about checking the back side. The liner just snaps in near the top but I’m afraid it will just cause more damage. I didn’t think there was much rust on the wall but there are a lot of patch panels so who knows. I mean I know there is rust around the pool light but the spot in question is just to the right of the return in the shallow end. Time will tell I suppose 2EB59A9F-313D-4D4E-8BB9-AFD9BA46804B.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.