Possible Leak - Best way to test?

noelc

Sep 1, 2018
Upper Providence - PA
I've had some wet area behind the pool in my spruce trees for a while. It's not super well graded and drained but has not been drying. I also have one tree that has been stressed and appears to be dying.
I've been looking at the grading, but just realized this might be due to the pool.

There are three lines that run, 1) Supply, Skimmer 1, and cleaner.
The leak seems to line up with where water would drain from the skimmer area.

I've always thought my pool has lost more water than normal. The builder pressure tested the system and it has some loss, but they felt it was due to the valves and held enough pressure for 30 minutes that there were no leaks. I was skeptical.

I've pressure tested myself and it seems to hold, but does lose some over time. I have not run a test recently so don't have any numbers to share.
I've closed the pool and never had any issues from that perspective.

What is the best way to test for a leak?
Should I isolate the lines and test at 20 PSI? What is normal loss due to valves that I can expect?
Would the same apply for a cleaner system?
I can certainly try to turn off those sections and see if it dry's out or get's wet, but that could be days at a time.

I've isolated the possible problem spot to the pictures I've attached. One is the fully connect pipes and the other is the initial layout before they joined all the pipes. The pictures are showing the pipes going away from the equipment. As you can see there are several PVC joints that could be the issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is all under the concrete.

Attachments

• DSC_6934.JPG
    DSC_6934.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_6977.JPG
    DSC_6977.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_8865.JPG
    DSC_8865.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 7
First I would confirm you have a leak but running the bucket test. Then you can try to narrow down the cause.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.