Possible issue with my pool

May 29, 2018
Conway, AR
So I've been doing a slam since Saturday and it is going quite well. The water was a swamp due to just to many leaves and no cover. The water is clearing up still not finished as I can still see the bottom on the deep end.
From just a few minutes ago:

FC: 14.5
CC: 0
TA: 40
pH: 7.4
CH: 30
CYA: 35 (dot dissappears before 30 but definitely after 40).
We are seeing good results as far as clearing up goes but the color is just off. I'm afraid it's a metal problem but I wanted to ask the experts.

Attachments

• 20230510_105014.jpg
    20230510_105014.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230510_105023.jpg
    20230510_105023.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 12
I'm afraid it's a metal problem but I wanted to ask the experts.
Even if it is (iron) you have to complete the SLAM Process first. During the SLAM, stuff some polyfilll in the skimmer and do all you can to filter iron out of the water if that's even an issue. Poly is easy to get and a cheap method to try. Once you pass the SLAM, you'll allow the FC to fall which might help change the reaction of iron to chlorine. Let's keep an eye on it and see how things progress.

SLAM level for 40 CYA (always round up) is FC 16. You're under that in latest results, which can explain why algae is still present. I'd focus on completing SLAM completely and correctly before worrying about iron.

By the way, are you on a well? Curious to know if you even have any high sources of iron locally. If city water, perhaps a high iron content there in your annual country water reports?
City water. I checked and there is nothing about iron being in the water but it does contain small amounts of lead and copper. I've put a link to the 2022 city water report.
I'll definitely continue the SLAM for now. This isn't my first SLAM so I'm fairly familiar with the process. The water is clearing up faster than I'm used to when it started this bad but the color is just off. I'm going to triple check the CYA level. I'll look into the polyfill and see if that helps at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.