Possible air leak in the vac suction line?

averagejoe

Jul 12, 2015
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
My pool has a dedicated vac port on the pool wall

1585425529246.png

with 1.5" pipe going all the way to the equipment with a T

1585425612627.png

VAC - vacuum line 1.5"
SK - skimmer line 2"
DR - bottom drain line - 2.5"

I never had much luck with Zodiac MX6 pool cleaner running at the right speed off vac port without introducing a lot of bubbles/air in the skimmer. To get it moving close to the speed in the manual (which would require about 25gpm per manual) I would have to close off quite a bit of both skimmer and drain lines which in turn brings a lot of air into the pump. I thought it is just pipe diameter is too small for the length (about 50') and pump starts sucking air through all the gaskets.

But recently I noticed something odd - if I leave all three lines open (so all three T valves handles pointing down) AND remove vacuum from the wall (which makes vac line plugged). I.e. vac line is plugged on the pool side and open on the pump side alongside with skimmer and drain lines. After pump is shut off - I see bubles coming out of the closed vac port in the pool.

That made me think that there is actually an air leak somewhere in the vac line. Most of the vac line is under the concrete deck. I already hosed everything near pool equipment trying to see if it will eliminate extra air - zero changes.

Any ideas what I can do to confirm vac line is tight or sucking air without diging it out? Anything else you guys might think that could possibly bring air into plugged on the pool side vac line?

Thanks for the ideas! For whatever reason, it did not occur to me to simply plug the other side and pump it, since it is an independent line!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.