Poor liner installation fix

GBF

Jul 16, 2022
Bloomington, IN
Just had my inground pool repaired and a new liner installed this past week (3 days ago). Looked great until I got in the pool the next day and about 1/4 of the bottom felt like I was walking on the moon. Not only rough areas but several spots had a raised points sticking up into the liner to such an extent that you could feel it with your feet pushing up into the liner. From what I understand, the only fix is to drain the pool, remove the liner and then smooth/repair the bottom. Followed by a re-install and fill. Are there any other options?

I also noticed that liner locks were installed on all 4 corners which I thought was unusual for a new liner installation. There is also some settling/stretching of the liner taking place along the bottom edges. I understand this is normal for a new liner. I am a first-time pool owner, it came with the home, and as such this is my first time having to deal with a liner in any way, shape or form. Pool company that did the install is not being very responsive. Any suggestions?

Thanks! GBF

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect there's not much that can be done for the bottom unless everything is lifted to inspect and re-do the base. Do you have any details or photos of how the base was prepared and/or what products were used?

As for the liner locks that's something I would ask someone like @jimmythegreek for some input.

Thanks. Glad to be here. The repairs were simply mixed concrete placed in cracks and in depressions. They would clean and prep the area needing repair, fill with concrete and after it dried, touch up as needed. Then smooth it over (which is the part I think they missed the mark on). I have over 80 pictures and videos, unfortunately nothing close up prior to the liner going in.

Attachments

• 20220712_padding 1.jpg
    20220712_padding 1.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220713_install prep 1.jpg
    20220713_install prep 1.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220614_repair 1.jpg
    20220614_repair 1.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 18
On a square corner pool it's common to have liner lock in corners. You need a dead set measurement to have it sit perfect without them. The liner lip doesn't stretch as easily as the center so there's only so much give. As for the bottom they shouldn't have used concrete. While many do it's a poor choice as it will harden and stay hard. It will easily lift off with ground water and could become floating pieces. Be aware most pool bottoms are not level and can look horrible under a pool light. Takes a lot of time and skill to make a flat bottom when new. Nearly impossible with a repair

Reactions: Texas Splash
On a square corner pool it's common to have liner lock in corners. You need a dead set measurement to have it sit perfect without them. The liner lip doesn't stretch as easily as the center so there's only so much give. As for the bottom they shouldn't have used concrete. While many do it's a poor choice as it will harden and stay hard. It will easily lift off with ground water and could become floating pieces. Be aware most pool bottoms are not level and can look horrible under a pool light. Takes a lot of time and skill to make a flat bottom when new. Nearly impossible with a repair
Thanks for the feedback

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.