Poolside Planters - show them off!

Sego palms. The name is a misnomer as they are cycads not palms and need to be fed differently. They grow slow but also are very hearty for the same reason. I'll get a newer pic sometime as the landscaping has grown in since this pic. 😁 fyi also these segos were replanted from around my pond that was in the yard prior to the pool. I love em.
Interesting. I've had Sagos before, but they hate the old and would die at the first frost

Interesting. I've had Sagos before, but they hate the old and would die at the first frost
Not too much frost here but the segos in my pics are at least 25 years old. Even if all the fronds fall off they may grow back. I heard of one story of a guy who pulled one out with no fronds and after two seasons on the side of the yard, replanted it in sand and it sprouted enough roots to grow back. Sometimes they only push once a year, with the right feeding i can get a good two pushes in a year out of em.

Not too much frost here but the segos in my pics are at least 25 years old. Even if all the fronds fall off they may grow back. I heard of one story of a guy who pulled one out with no fronds and after two seasons on the side of the yard, replanted it in sand and it sprouted enough roots to grow back. Sometimes they only push once a year, with the right feeding i can get a good two pushes in a year out of em.
Man, I didn't know that. I'm in zone 8a in SE VA. It doesn't get "that" cold here compared to some places, but we can touch the teens every once in awhile. I've always thrown them out since I thought they were dead. No clue they would sprout back. Thanks!

Nearing the End of Summer. The Pots are near peak. Although, each time I say this, a few days later I say the same thing!

East looking West.jpgse corner.jpgSE pot.jpg.jpgsouth middle pot.jpgSW pot.jpgWest end.jpg

Note to self, get neighbor to nail that board into place...and I should coil up the hose...

West looking east.jpg

The bouganvillas are perrenials and the periwinkles are annuals. The periwinkles do often survive a winter. They can be trimmed back and put back out. About half survived last year. And most of the larger pots of periwinkles had bouganvillas last year. They needed more space, so larger pots. The freed pots I filled with more Periwinkles.

The "mixed pots" were accidents. We move all of the plants under my porch in the winter. Some of the periwinkles dropped seeds in the bouganvillas pots.

@red-beard I love bouganvillas and I think they do well where I live (Florida). I thought I read someone say somewhere on TFP that they are terrible around the pool, that their flowers end up in the pool a lot. Do you find that to be true? I don't think they have to be watered and that is why I would love them too :). Almost zero maintenance.

They need water. LOTS of water. I have a "drip" irrigation system hooked up to each plant. Before, I was walking around with a hose every morning and night.

Anything close to the pool ends up in the pool. The skimmers get most of them and a net gets the rest. They generally float.

Reactions: ckinchen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! Need to figure out how to set up my irrigation system since we are just in the early stages. Waiting on permit. I think I will want some access to sprinklers for this very reason!

This is a surface run drip system from Home Depot. I wedged it in the crack between the concrete and the grass, so it doesn't notice. I was surprised that 1 kit was able to work for my pool, which needed 140 linear feet. I bought 2 kits and still need to return the second kit.

You just need to buy a hose timer to go with it.

Reactions: bulldog69
So I will definitely be looking at those plants...see if they will stand up to the heat. I have found this year that I don’t enjoy watering every pot every day...will look into the irrigation. I am finding if I can put the plant in the ground it fairs much better. Butterfly bush and lantanas do very well here in NE Ga. This year has been a major learning curve...pool and plants included!!

These are the mostly carefree plants. They do need 12-24-12 or 20-40-20 fertilizer. And water. I feed them a couple of times a month. I go through a 40 lb bag over about 3 years. Periwinkle (a.k.a. Vinqa) is cheap and easy to find. And you can get it in seed if you want. I sprouted seeds one year and did well.

Last edited:
@red-beard Carefree is exactly what I want! Thank you will look into that sprinkler system. I think because we currently have a sprinkler I need to have someone, maybe a landscpape person help me figure out what we need. I do not think I will want to just remove the sprinklers just in case we do end up putting plants there.

Yes carefree is the top priority. I have really liked my blanket flowers. Planted from seed...once they finally took off...they bloom constantly and I never do anything to them...now that’s my kind of flower! The property we purchased last summer has so many different mature plants...has been so much fun (and work) learning about them and how to care for them.

Mission accomplished! Mixed container garden achievement unlocked ( +100 adulting )

View attachment 139526

View attachment 139527

Lemongrass (mosquito repellent), silver falls dichondra, and hypoestes.

We filled the bottom with bricks, these things aren't going anywhere unless is just trying really hard.
How are the lemongrass doing with keeping the bugs away? Also looking for plants to deter bugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.