Poolside dining table material - is teak good long term option?

BrittanyV

Silver Supporter
Dec 7, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
With construction well underway and seemingly long delivery times for outdoor furniture from most places, we are feeling the crunch to make a decision on an out door dining table or set very soon (maybe today). If we don’t do something we might not have it delivered until late in the season.

Our last set was purchased at Sam’s and was a disaster. The faux wood table (fiberglass with some texture and almost a wrap of wood grain) did not hold up well in the sun. Each of 2 tables only lasted 2 years before looking terrible (Finish just peeled off).

So we are now thinking about either a new table to use with our old chairs (to save $$$ in the short term) or a complete new rectangular dining table set.

My question is if any of you have experience with real wood outdoor tables, most likely teak. Will a quality teak table withstand the Midwestern elements for 3 seasons per year? How long should one expect it to last? Do they take much care?

I'm a big fan of cast aluminum, we got one 2 years go and it looks just like the day I opened the box. e got 4 swivel chars from Lowes and 4 more contrasting chairs from HD

.bBdJBR80Q0ejffTDRFIWQg.jpgpxR95LYSSjWVXQ2GuVkU6Q.jpg

Well - we jumped in and bought a teak table yesterday. Fingers crossed that it holds up! According to the dealer we should expect 8 seasons out of it before having to sand, and that is with no oil or sealant... just cleaning.
We are a little concerned about water rings or stains from greasy food... but I guess we will see how it goes!

We considered aluminum as well, but decided on this teak table for the classic looks and a decent price.

I wouldn’t worry about any grease stains. Teak is an oily wood, the main reason is it weather resistant. It will be beautiful. I like weathered teak.

Reactions: BrittanyV
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.