Pools Opens Black Every Year

Jun 25, 2013
This has been killing me every year since beginning use of one of them safety mesh covers. It doesn't matter how much chemicals I close with, when I open my pool is black, algae black. Takes usually three weeks to fully recover but clarity comes within a few days of first good shock.
I don't recall having this issue with the tarp and bags routine and have been told that the mesh cover can breed algae because sunlight gets thru.
Any one have the ground truth on this?
Thanks,
Eric

I appreciate that advice. I'm actually one of the late closers and early openers around the neighborhood because I've received that advice before when I first got this. I opened last week of April this year.

Close when water is below 60 and open when it is below 60 and you won't have algae. You are opening too late.

I can tell you this isn't foolproof. We closed when the water was 55. Opened when the water was 47. Algae. It wasn't black, but it was medium green.

Reactions: kirkeric
I close with a quart of polyquat each year. I usually close in the mid to low 50s and open in the low 50s. I have never opened to algae and actually never had a spec of algae in my pool. I run during the season in the upper end of the chlorine chart usually 10% or a little better of my CYA. I never let me chlorine drift too low so I have never had any chance for algae to take hold in the pool. I think that makes a difference.

Thanks. I've never heard of polyquat. What is that? Another name for it? The opening and closing and cool temperatures really sounds great but it's not uncommon here in Maryland to run 60s well in to November and hit 60 in March. Interesting that not a soul around me has this issue and most use the tarp and water bags. Is there anything to my initial comment about this type mesh cover?
At this point, it's very green and trying to clear it. I've dumped tons of shock in it, 12 lbs on opening, 6 more every few days, 6 last night and 3 this morning. Green as heck.
This is perhaps the worst year so far.

Thanks. I've never heard of polyquat. What is that? Another name for it? The opening and closing and cool temperatures really sounds great but it's not uncommon here in Maryland to run 60s well in to November and hit 60 in March. Interesting that not a soul around me has this issue and most use the tarp and water bags. Is there anything to my initial comment about this type mesh cover?
At this point, it's very green and trying to clear it. I've dumped tons of shock in it, 12 lbs on opening, 6 more every few days, 6 last night and 3 this morning. Green as heck.
This is perhaps the worst year so far.

I'm also in md. I closed in October last year. Opened in April. Polyquat is an algaecide. Check Amazon. My cover is also mesh. It does not filter uv.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, still no luck on my pool. Despite all the chlorine, it registered practically zero when I had sample run. They had me add some stuff increase copper levels. Attached is the report.

Ideas?

Attachments

• 15591259569817856972530512487619.jpg
    15591259569817856972530512487619.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 38
Pool store testing?

I think we have identified at least a part of the issue. The smaller part is indeed the mesh cover. Not much you can do about sunlight getting to the water, but with proper testing and SLAM Process opening to a green pool (the black is caused by tanin staining the water) is easily corrected.

Reactions: PoolGate
Well, still no luck on my pool. Despite all the chlorine, it registered practically zero when I had sample run. They had me add some stuff increase copper levels. Attached is the report.

Ideas?

Do you have a proper test kit so you can do your own testing? We recommend the TF-100. The pool store's testing is typically not accurate and not repeatable. Randomly buying magic potions from the pool store is not going to solve anything. Especially things like copper based products which creates other problems. If your CYA is as high as the store has guessed it is, that is part of your problem. With a CYA level over 100 you need a chlorine level above 10 just to maintain (a clean pool) and above 40 to SLAM.

Get a proper test kit, test, if CYA is that high, you are looking at a water change at least 50% depending what the actual CYA is.

If you ever want to get this right you have to stop using pool store testing and get your own test kit. Your CYA is very high which is caused by powdered shocks and chlorine tabs. With a CYA that high you are going to need a lot of liquid chlorine to properly slam your pool.

You need to lower your CYA, to do that you need to drain and refill or do a water exchange. Once the CYA level is down you will be able to properly SLAM and maintain crystal clear water if you follow the advice of the experts here. But you must get your own proper test kit if you want to be successful and save yourself a lot money being wasted in the pool store on their magic potions.

I'm in MD, closed my pool when water temp was below 50, did not use polyquat, just increased my chlorine a couple of days before closing and put my mesh cover on it. I opened it late March to crystal clear water that still had chlorine in it.

Last edited:
Mesh covers, with good water management work fine as people here will tell you. My experience is that a solid cover (no sunlight) gives me more leeway if the water temp and chlorine levels are not perfect. Not much grows with no light and no organics in the water.

Pool store testing?

I think we have identified at least a part of the issue. The smaller part is indeed the mesh cover. Not much you can do about sunlight getting to the water, but with proper testing and SLAM Process opening to a green pool (the black is caused by tanin staining the water) is easily corrected.
Thanks all. I DO also test myself and the store test was done after all this conversation to see if I could get some help. I don't know why they offer testing if they are inaccurate....what good are they. I didn't think of it as randomly throwing stuff in though, I thought of it as I was being given some solution for correction. Lol. I've never done this SLAM process and didn't realize that liquid chlorine is different so I'll try that next. I'd like draining to be a last alternative. Very costly to do that kind of thing.
Also, based on the copper comment, I'm sure what they gave me was probably intended to reduce copper not add, trying to remember everything they said but they gave me three bags of a non chlorine powder and two days later add this copper liquid. Attached is what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_062723.jpg
    IMG_20190530_062723.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.