Pool Water Loss

Aug 4, 2017
Indianapolis. IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have an 18 ft above ground pool with a center drain that was installed at the end of July. We're located in Indiana and have had a dry spell with temperatures in the 90's over the past few weeks. I'm having to add water to the pool at least once a week because the water level keeps dropping to below the skimmer/return jet which seems a bit excessive to me (and hurt when we received our latest water bill!). The water level is dropping 2-3 inches in a matter of days. Is this normal?

Have you tried the "Bucket Test"?
Fill a bucket with water and set on a step in your pool. The level in the bucket should be at the same level as in the pool. Wait and observe. If it is evaporation, both levels should stay at the same level.
If your pool has a leak, the water in the bucket will be higher than the pool.

Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal. Dry spell with temperatures in the 90's, in addition, you probably have been swimming creating splash out, etc. You could loose up to 1" per day in very hot weather. I would place a piece of blue tape somewhere on the skimmer or mark. Fill up to that line or right underneath. Allow water to drift down over at least 4-7 days. Then measure and divide to determine loss per day. Also, make sure pump is off when you do this.

Yes, it is normal. Dry spell with temperatures in the 90's, in addition, you probably have been swimming creating splash out, etc. You could loose up to 1" per day in very hot weather. I would place a piece of blue tape somewhere on the skimmer or mark. Fill up to that line or right underneath. Allow water to drift down over at least 4-7 days. Then measure and divide to determine loss per day. Also, make sure pump is off when you do this.

Are you saying for them to turn their pool pump off for 4-7 days, or just while they put the tape on for the initial line, and then just when they measure a week later?

Are you saying for them to turn their pool pump off for 4-7 days, or just while they put the tape on for the initial line, and then just when they measure a week later?

No, leave everything as is. Run the pool as normal. After filling up the pool, then shut off the filter for a few minutes and place the tape on the skimmer plate right above the water (of course not in the water as it will not stick). And do not worry as 1 week, the tape will come off easily. This is your starting point. When the pump is running, it pulls water from the pool and it automatically seems lower as the piping is filled with water.

Go at least 4-7 days and then take the average. Start and stop at same time of the day.

That's what I figured, just clarifying before someone else misunderstood that and actually tried it with their pump off for a week, lol.

I'm too OCD and scared of green monsters to even think about turning the pump off, water loss or not! Thanks for the clarification though!

Which pump and filter are you using? Can you add a signature in the forum's settings that includes some basic info about your pool, like size and gallons, AG or IG, surface type, pump and filter, any other equipment you have like SWG or heater?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm on a mobile device, it wouldn't let me last I tried. I'll have to whip out the ancient laptop...

The pump and filter were given to us, but this is what I know:
18'x48" AG, ~7,000 gal, Hayward S200 pump, city water supply.

I'm on a mobile device, it wouldn't let me last I tried. I'll have to whip out the ancient laptop...

The pump and filter were given to us, but this is what I know:
18'x48" AG, ~7,000 gal, Hayward S200 pump, city water supply.

At the bottom of the mobile page, you should see "Full Site" and then you can look at the normal desktop version of the forum. I always enable the full site/desktop version of sites on my phone, can't stand watered down versions of sites that the mobile pages always seem to produce.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.