pool water is slightly cloudy

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
A quick question about water chemistry.

My pool water is slightly cloudy (I mean slightly). I may just live with it. But like to hear advice from TFP.

Here is my chemistry:
Free chlorine: 6ppm
Combined: 0
PH: 7.5 (added MA yesterday. I am adjusting pH every week, SWG brings pH up rapidly)
Salt: 3200
CYA: 45
Total alkalinity: 110
CH: 140

Filter pressure: opened at 15 psi, around 14 now.

Anything should I do? I am thinking about shocking the pool, but not sure if this is the right thing to do.

Thanks.

Hello shiy...

I was wondering if you could take a picture of your pool.

If you're running on a SWG pool, you'll need to follow this to make sure your CYA is within range.

However, before you do that (if your pool is slightly cloudy) it may be that you have to SLAM your pool until you pass the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). With a CC of 0, you're good there. However, have you done and overnight FC loss test yet? Also, from you description above, it doesn't look like your pool is crystal clear. So my take on this is that you proceed with the SLAM before you do anything with you CYA for now. Also, you'll may have to bring your pH down to a 7.2 though, but I'll let the experts chime in on that.

Update: if you don't proceed with the SLAM as you may not need to, you should follow the FC/CYA Chart, and make sure you maintain your FC target. Remember: You cannot measure a CYA of 45. Scale is logarithmic. So round up. Use CYA of 50. Now with a CYA of 50, I don't see that on the FC/CYA chart at all for SWG pools. If your CYA is 50, you may need to bring that up a tad bit to correspond with the FC/CYA Chart....but again, I'll let the expert verify this information but my gut is telling me that if you don't need to SLAM your pool, you need to bring your CYA up a tad bit...to 60 for a SWCG pool. It all really depends on what you want to do here.

Thanks both. Sorry for the delay since I was out of town. Yes, I did OCLT, and no FC loss. The pool is not crystal clear although I see the deep end well.

Haven’t got chance to add CYA yet. Ordered 2 gallon of liquid conditioner from amazon. Should arrive tomorrow. Still puzzled about the pool. Never had this problem before.

Two possible things

No cya blanks out FC during the day and some algae produces, at night the swg keeps it in check.

Pull your filter and check it for a tear.

Shake very well the liquid gold gold and add very slowly to the pool at a return. Granular cya is much cheaper and still easy to add for next time

After checking your filter and making sure all is okay with it, you may need to SLAM your pool to get the current algae out of there. Keep the SWG off during the SLAM.

Again, if your pool is not crystal clear after you see that your filter is okay, you may want to proceed with the SLAM. Don't add CYA yet until you get your pool crystal clear. To SLAM, some usually starts this with a CYA of 30, but since you're pool has a CYA of 50, try bringing your FC level to the shock of 20 and maintain it there by adding regular plain bleach or liquid chlorine (same thing). Brush the walls and around the ladder of your pool. Test your FC every couple of hours and maintain your shock level of 20. One your pool is crystal clear, do the OCLT test again and make sure you pass all three criteria below. You're done with your SLAM when you pass ALL 3 criteria. Raise the CYA after the slam is complete. See this link for SWCG Pools FC/CYA.

• CC is 0.5 or lower
  • You pass an OCLT (you should do this again)
  • And the water is clear
Note: Consistency is very important. Another thing, it may take time to filter all the dead algae out, so keep SLAMing. Vacuum and brush... try to move slowly when you brush or vacuum so you don't stir up too much debris. When you brush, you're loosening up the dead algae. The dead algae will then be picked up by the filter. With consistent maintenance (SLAMing) you'll be fine before you know it.

Also, do you have a store (Walmart or Home Depot) close by. You can get 10% Liquid Chlorine from there. Or a store that sells bleach thats
unscented, plain bleach without any additives as your chlorine source. Regardless, it looks like you've found a way to get bleach for yourself because you'll need it while SLAMing your pool and maintain your shock level. Even for regular maintenance, you'll need to have LC or plain bleach...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can't pass all three criteria, then you will need to SLAM.

How does your water look? Could you take a pic of it and post it? If you passed the OCLT and the CC test, all that's left is the clarity of your pool. I just don't know how cloudy it is at all. Is it somewhat clear with a slight cloudiness or is it pollen you're seeing? Can you see the bottom of your pool?

Thanks Mendy. I did OCLT last night, no FC loss. In addition, my SWG is off at night. Do you still think I should do a SLAM?

Hi Mendy, I will try to take a pic when I am back home tonight.

Yes, I can see the bottom well. Very slight cloudiness. THe pollen season is over several weeks ago, so I assume there is no pollen. The cartridge filter pressure has been quite stable at 15psi. That's why I am puzzled.

I am also wondering where to start:

I can think about 3 things:
1. adjust pH
2. adjust CYA
3. Shock.

Which one should I do first tomorrow?

Thanks.

Yes! When you have time, take a pic of your pool.

What I would do for now is:
Take a reading of your pH and adjust accordingly to 7.2 (use PoolMath to add the correct amount of measurement)
Following the SLAM procedure
Leave Pump running 24hours
Test FC every couple of hours and maintain your FC shock level
Do this until your pool is clear and then perform the OCLT test again (making sure you pass all 3 criteria).

Don't adjust your CYA until you're done with the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.