Pool Toy Storage.

With my new pool build getting ready to kick off I got to thinking, how am i going to store all these toys that my kids will be wanting/getting.

Please tell me your ideas.

Also i will be looking for some way to store chemicals and stuff like that. Pool with be SWG so no need for the chlorine. However I'm sure there are other items i will need to keep on hand.

Just make sure your muriatic acid is stored separately!

I use my old pool ladder (2 sided). My foam floats drape over top, noodles sit on the rungs. I can hang towels on it too.

I use two of these and have filled them up with toys:

Shop Suncast 52-in L x 29-in W 124-Gallon Java Resin Deck Box at Lowes.com

Suncast is an excellent brand. They fit right under a window sill, so don't block my view. The kids head straight for them.

More Suncast to store MA and chlorine, like this:

Getting ready for SWG - Page 5

I jerry-rigged the lock to keep kids out of the chemical boxes. Pool acid (MA) is especially dangerous.

And SWG doesn't necessarily mean the end of chlorine on site. SWGs don't work in winter if your water temp drops low enough. And a hot day, or pool party, will over tax your SWG quite easily. You can use the SWGs "boost" mode to compensate, but a much more efficient way is to leave the SWG settings alone and just goose the pool with some liquid chlorine when the demand gets bumped temporarily.

Chlorine should be stored in a cool location. Heat will break it down. MA should only be stored outside, well away from chlorine (NOT NOT NOT in the same box), and well away from metal. Many deck boxes have metal hinges or latches. The one in my thread is 100% resin/plastic and perfect for MA. I believe Suncast still sells that model.

Interesting idea about the "float corral." That is the one thing I've yet to solve for. One or two I can scrunch into the two big deck boxes, but if I have more than that inflated then they end up laying around the yard. I'll have to keep working on that...

We keep our inflatables in the shed. Noodles in a pvc/ mesh rolling thing. Life jackets and some other things in a deck box. I have an SWG too and keep muriatic avid in the shed or deck box if there is no bleach in there. I sometimes have bleach in there but mostly I just buy it if I need it.

Wow thanks all. There are some grast ideas here. My wife and I have very different thoughts on location and style of storage. She wants them tucked away near the pool equipment. I want a nice looking storage bin to place on the patio by the house. My though about this is mainly to keep the kids away from the equipment on the side of the house. I'm sure she will get her way haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is ours. I can’t find the site I originally bought it from. It is all plastic. No metal hinges. Holds 8 x 5 litre bottles of acid nicely or you could remove the shelf to store larger bottles. We are in Australia but these or similar are available in the US. I think Kim has a link. We also have the matching tall one for all the shovels, brooms etc that hubby liked to leave laying around.
9fbf09f00c97dd4da5b2065ecedf4194.png

She wants them tucked away near the pool equipment. I want a nice looking storage bin to place on the patio by the house. My though about this is mainly to keep the kids away from the equipment on the side of the house. I'm sure she will get her way haha.

You're both right! Toy box by the pool. Chemical boxes and pool equipment together, away from pool. Some real-world-scenario for you:

My kids are in those boxes constantly, for the entire swim session. Not just "go get one toy and that's it." And their friends do the same thing. Back and forth, back and forth. The toy boxes are part of the pool experience. Embrace them!! More importantly, I wouldn't want kids (mine or others) disappearing from the pool area to go to "the side of the house" for anything, especially anywhere near the pool pad. That's just asking for it, IMO. And even more important that that: since I have to pick up the toys half the time anyway, the closer to the pool the better! ;)

Sidebar... One thing I noticed at a recent pool party of nine kids, floaties are just all around bad news in that environment. Kids try to jump on them, in crazy ways. One of them is going to lever backwards and crack their head on the coping one of these days. They are the source of constant sibling fights. And they take up a lot of surface area in my small pool. But the biggie for me, was how much of the pool they obscure. Keeping track of nine heads was quite a challenge. Most of the parents of these kids (some with noses in phones the whole time), didn't seem too concerned about making sure their kids were still alive. As the pool owner (and potential defendant), I was very concerned about how many of these kids were breathing at any given point! And while keeping an eye on them as best I could, I lost count too many times because of all the floaties. For my next kid party, I think I'm going to hide the floaties and allow only smaller toys, ones that don't block the view of the surface and the bottom so much...

Reactions: MKSimon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.