Quiltincin

Aug 15, 2020
Bay Area in California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for pool advice with 2 questions.

1: does leslies actually provide a reliable CYA test number?
2: based on testing below do I need to decrease TA OR DO I start elsewhere?

Back story 2nd year with pool testing. I was a slacker last week and didn’t test daily just put in the usual amount or a bit more chlorine if my gut told me to. Began testing regularly 1 week ago, all testing was good (didn’t test cya, used 20 as my measure.). For last two years PH has always been spot on at 7.6, never varied after I got a handle on testing with new pool last year.
Testing with Taylor K-2006

I use pool 95 % of the time, occasionally my husbands will get in and for the first time ever yesterday my son and his girlfriend got and and put their dog in the pool. Before they got in pool was clear, afterwards o longer clear, this morning it’s better but not crystal clear.

pool consistently around 4 -7 FC AND .2 -.4 CC
I usually test those numbers daily and do full testing once in a while or if I see any issues

yesterday’s (last night) numbers
08/29
FC-4.2
CC-.2
PH-8+
TA-150

TONIGHTS (I forgot to test this morning and add chlorine like I usually do)
08/29
FC-.2
FC-.4
PH-8
TA-160
CYA -less than 30 (vial only measures to 30)
Since my PH has always been spot on do take care of the TA first then after it in range test PH again? OrdoI solve PH first? My gut says to test CYA at leslies and take care of TA first? Is this the right approach?

vinyl above ground pool (approx 1200gal)

Lower pH first with Muriatic Acid to 7.2, then follow SLAM process. TA will take care of itself as you maintain pH. When pH gets to 8, lower back to 7.2. After a few turns, the TA will be lower and pH will stop drifting.

I did test CYA myself but my test only goes to 30 and the dot is clear still so it’s below that somewhere-thoughts on getting an accurate number.?
No need to be that precise; you need to add CYA. Use pool math effects of adding to get at least 10ppm more dry stabilizer into the pool. Then test again…

Welcome to TFP!!!

You don't need to worry about TA or CYA at the moment. The biggest issue is your FC and the SLAM.

Focus on pH and get it to 7.2 with MA and follow the SLAM Process. If you add CYA now, it will complicate the slam process (you won't know the right target, or it will change as CYA is added). Got to get rid of the algae, if there is any.

You should also read up on the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Best determinate of whether you need to SLAM or not.

Oh, and turn off your SWG during slam.

I would add enough CYA to get you at 30 CYA, use poolmath and put 20 in current and 30 in target.. put it in a sock and put the sock in front of a return... after a couple hours knead the sock till all the CYA is gone...

Then start your SLAM :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.