Pool store says I have a severe case of ammonia

That does make a difference....but the fact that you lost almost 20ppm of chlorine in less than 24 hours show's that there may still be an issue. When you get your own kit we'll be able to see for sure what's going on.

What does the water look like now after you've hit it a few times??

The water was very cloudy & greenish in color...couldn't even see the 2nd step on the ladder. NOW...it is not crystal clear but 85% improvement...we can spot a leaf on the bottom of the deep end! I'm thinking I might need to vaccuum to waste with the vast improvement I'm seeing...PLUS, the pressure gauge on my filter is rapidly increasing.

One thing about shocking your pool....once you get you pool up to shock level you want to do your best to maintain that shock level until you pass the overnight test. You don't want the FC levels in your pool to be a shock level and drop real low before you boost it back up to shock level. This will get you to the finish line much quicker. This will be much easier once your test kit arrives. I when through the same "chlorine demand" song and dance with the pool store just over a year ago and ended up dumping in 75# of shock just before I closed the pool in 2010 and another 75# when I opened it in 2011.....that's what brought me here and it has been a crystal clear pool ever since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.