Pool Store Advice vs TFP

May 5, 2022
Chunchula, AL
Hello, a couple months ago we bought a house with a 38,000 gallon science project in the back yard. We became members here and got it cleared up. Thank you TFP peeps! Thus last week we noticed sand on the bottom, figured we would vacuum over the weekend. By the weekend it got worse and pool store says it’s not sand but mustard algae. Sold is this bottle of Skill-It and have these instructions. Was told to use 20 oz and then 5 oz increments till bottle was gone. When I compare with pool math the addition of chlorine varies significantly. Why is that? SLAM was helpful first time, not interested in wasting time or product. See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BCCEE22F-C71F-4AF7-B02A-27A9909DD7CF.png
    BCCEE22F-C71F-4AF7-B02A-27A9909DD7CF.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 19
Skill-It is a cheap non-copper based algaecide… it won’t kill the existing algae. It may help prevent more algae, but may also cause some foaming. I wouldn’t put that on my pool.

Based on the 73% cal-hypo recommendation (too lazy to do the math on the others), they are telling you to add 2.9ppm worth of chlorine in your pool with total disregard to current CYA or CH levels. That won’t be enough to keep your pool sanitary or kill any type of algae. My best guess is they want you to go back and buy several hundred dollars on other products that won’t resolve the issue either, so they can sell more products, rinse and repeat.

If you know SLAM Process works why go to a pool store for advice? BTW, SLAM has few additional considerations for mustard algae (if you are sure that is what you have).

Reactions: Mdragger88
Skill-It is a cheap non-copper based algaecide… it won’t kill the existing algae. It may help prevent more algae, but may also cause some foaming. I wouldn’t put that on my pool.

Based on the 73% cal-hypo recommendation (too lazy to do the math on the others), they are telling you to add 2.9ppm worth of chlorine in your pool with total disregard to current CYA or CH levels. That won’t be enough to keep your pool sanitary or kill any type of algae. My best guess is they want you to go back and buy several hundred dollars on other products that won’t resolve the issue either, so they can sell more products, rinse and repeat.

If you know SLAM Process works why go to a pool store for advice? BTW, SLAM has few additional considerations for mustard algae (if you are sure that is what you have).
I was going the pool store to buy a new robot vac so I went ahead and took a water sample with me. When I showed them pics of my pool he said it was mustard algae and the vac would not pick it up. I tried the get close to it with the brush method to see if it poofed, which it did so I figured he was right. However the vac either picked it up or dispersed it cause the pool floor is clean.

You Need your own reliable test kit (Taylor k2006c or tf100/pro) to do the SLAM Process & follow TFP protocols.
I wouldn’t do anything based on those results other than add 5ppm of fc/day until the kit comes to prevent it from getting worse.
Use PoolMath to calculate additions.
While u are waiting u can also fill in your signature so folks can answer your questions more specifically.

Reactions: AK-
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.